Speedo On Crack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

96EKB18C5

Just swapped a 2001 ITR into my 96 civ coupe.When I sit at idle or get to 5000 rpm+ my speedo goes nuts, bouncing from 0-120mph. I bought a po6 reflashed from Kenji's ecus.Bad mapping? Or is my car on crack!:eek:

your speedo and tach go crazy i am geussing. Those go crazy when the ground wire on the water neck on the back of the block is loose. The same thing happened to me.

Thanks bro.I was hoping it was something simple like that.Here's another one, last night I was driving down from Big Bear and my headlights started flickering, but only when I was on a down hill.The flickering would go away once I started giving it gas. Is this from the same ground wire problem?

Thanks bro.I was hoping it was something simple like that.Here's another one, last night I was driving down from Big Bear and my headlights started flickering, but only when I was on a down hill.The flickering would go away once I started giving it gas. Is this from the same ground wire problem?

Yes...

I found something last night that may also cause a problem i think.The part that registers the miles on top of the tranny, its gear drivin and has a electrical plug on top,not sure what its called.Anyways the part that bolts to the tranny has been broken off, so its not totally secured to the trannny.Does that piece serve as a ground for the plug?

Oh, and I checked my grond wire and no dice.But thanks for the sugestion killercannible.And the battery is brand new.The alt though, that could be it. I swapped that from the old D16y8, and have never replaced it since I owned the car.

I found something last night that may also cause a problem i think.The part that registers the miles on top of the tranny, its gear drivin and has a electrical plug on top,not sure what its called.Anyways the part that bolts to the tranny has been broken off, so its not totally secured to the trannny.Does that piece serve as a ground for the plug?

That is the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor), and no it doesn't serve as a ground. But it could be free spinning or reading a incorrect reading if it is not secure...

alternator. same happend to me.i bougth speed sensor & cluster.it was the alternator.

Well, I planned buying a alternator one of these days.what do you recomend amperage wise? I'm run'in 2 amps=600watts, MSD ignition/cap/coil/nology wires.How much did you pay for that speed sensor?

Back