speedometer cable

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I was thinking about buying a new one because after I swapped my dx cluster to an si my speedometer stopped working. the pin on the inside of the cable wont spin or anything so it had me thinking that it's the other end of the cable, the one that goes into the trans-axle, but I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone on here before? and if it has how did you fix it? because I know that a new cable is only like $25 I just don't want to have to feed it threw my firewall if I don't need to.

I would like to hear all input

thanks

oh and it also started showing a code 16 and 17...I believe it did 16 quick flashes paused then did the 17 quick flashes and it never showed any codes before the speedometer stopped working

well I replaced the cable and now I have a speedometer, but now the needle bounces back and fourth like if I'm doing 40 it'll bounce from 40 to 45

gotta love the problems you run into with these cable clusters. i wanna say that particular issue is more a failure with the cluster than the cable or vss itself. you know what ya could do though. install an electronic vss with a new cluster and you won't have these problems anymore : P

it's weird because I tried it with a drill first to see if it was ok, same as with the old cluster and it was fine, but oh well at least I don't have any codes anymore and I know AROUND how fast I'm going

My car use to do that to. I think that some of that is caused my the cable being kinked. It kinda acts like a long torsion spring. It will stick until it builts up force, then it will jump forward, then stick again. This causes the needle to bounce a little.

Back