Speedometer Doesn't work

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ichigo1174

VIP
I drive a 1994 Honda Civic LX, 5 speed, D15b7
Okay so When I got my car the previous owner said that the speedometer just started to not work like its suppose to. 8 Months later I decided I want to fix it because I'm trying to trade the car to a friend. It used to come on and go off while driving so I'm used to using my tachometer to tell how fast I'm going.

I started looking around and seen that the previous owner cut one of the wires to the VSS and I tugged on it and the wire came out of it, feeling eager to fix the problem I grabbed a soldering iron and some electrical tape and I fixed it myself. Thinking to myself I was like, why not. So I took the VSS out to inspect it and realized that the middle pin that the connector goes on is broken and it fell out. Feeling like I actually knew what the problem was I got another VSS and replaced it. It worked and then stopped, and worked and stopped. So I think either one of the wires has a short and or I need a new gauge cluster/speedometer. I was gonna get another cluster and if that doesn't work I'll re-run me some wires.
Am I doing this right? or missing anything? :confused:

Also will a gauge cluster out of a Automatic Transmission work in my 5 speed? Like will the wires hook up in the back and all.

its probably not the cluster. it's probably the wriing to it, or even the tick counter inside the tranny that physcailly spins the vss is not hitting correctly.

How would I check to see if the tick counter is spinning, can it be replaced?

There's a little pin that goes in and attaches to the VSS. you may need to drop the tranny and look inside.

Attachments

• 94943949.gif
    94943949.gif
    11 KB · Views: 234
I made sure that the little pin is in between the sensor and transmission. I've looked online and a lot of people have said that the wires under the intake manifold will rub bare and short, I jacked up the car crawled underneath and tried to look at the wires, didn't see much.

I kinda don't want to drop the tranny. Like I said a lot of people will say there was a short and it can be seen by removing the bracket right under the intake manifold. Well I took it off and looked, my wires looked fine, there were no spots where there was access rubbing. I checked my ground wires and even if it were my ground then I'm sure other stuff wouldn't work. Okay imma look at the wires going into the connector again. One was cut and but connected, then I removed the connector and soldered the wires together. But what if the wire wasn't into the connector right? either than or it's the gauge. Those are the only things I can think of, unless there is a short some wheres else.

Back