Speedometer not working

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lude9593

ok, so i finally got my new clutch, flywheel and axles in after about 8 hrs. of work (it was mine and my g/f's dad's first time doing this). everything is fine except the speedometer doesn't work. we know we plugged it back in the transmission so it should work but it doesn't. the only thing i can think of is that when i washed my tranny off (it was covered in shitty axle grease) that the plug in the tranny got wet and that's why it doesn't work. i was thinking that maybe it would dry out and start working after a couple days but i hope it's not ruined. also, after about 10 minutes of driving, my check engine light came on so i'm supposing it's a damn emission thing. is there any possible way a non-working speedo could set it off? hopefully you guys can shed some light on the situation.

what year car

check engine light is prob from vehicle speed sensor malfunction...

aka VSS

check what your CEL code is...

it's a 1995 (obd1). i don't know what you mean by "CEL" code and i don't know how to check it so if you could enlighten me on that it'd be cool.

clicky

check this out

in our refrence section on this site...
tells you how to access your CEL codes, and what those codes mean...

CEL = check engine light by the way...

so how did you go about dropping your trans out?
did you take the speed sensor out of the trans? or did you just unplug it?

nah, no dumb questions...

hope this helped...

if the code is in fact the VSS i would try to maybe unplug it, check for corrossion, or make sure its plugged all the way in...
could just be a loose connection...

any chance you pulled on the wires a little too much when trying to get the plug apart?

i don't think we messed the wires up any. i hope it is just a loose connection or something. i'll check it out tomorrow and find out. also, i just noticed that my idle isn't constant. it's not bad, maybe 200 rpms or so up and down. i've heard of something called an idle control valve (icv)? so i think that might be it, maybe a loose vacuum hose. i noticed that i had an extra hose loose after we finished and the diagram looked like it went to the back of the throttle body but i couldn't find anywhere to plug it in. it originates from this little black box near the battery and under the intake piping. i can't remember the name of it (i'll check tomorrow). i thought it might have gone to the stock intake piping and when i put my AEM on there, it might not have had a place for it. however, i could be wrong and this might be the cause of my lumpy idle.

im having this same problem right now man!! i did a h22 swap in my 92 accord and im having a spedo problem as well. the reason why your check engine light is comming on after 10 mins of driving is because it dosent register to the ecu that its not working until you drive and it realizes that its not registering a speed to the ecu which is why youll probably notice that if you idle the car for for longer than that 10 mins that the CEL wont come on cuz the cars not moving. im also assuming you have a VTEC motor cuz the VSS is only a primary issue in VTEC cars. youll also notice that when the CEL does come on that you cant hit VTEC either (assuming that u have a VTEC motor).

i havent really gotten into depth in to mine buecause of the weather but it 100% can only be one or two of these problems:

1) when you took you Vss out when u were doing the tranny you didnt put it back in correctly and might have either dammaged or broken the MECHANICAL part of the VSS which looks kinda like a small transmission it itself with a small gear attach to the end. if thats not spinning then you not gonna register a speed.

2) the ELECTRICAL part of the Vss ( the sensor itsels) is bad or got dammaged in the process of taking it out.

3) one of the 3 wires on the VSS came out or is possibly detached form the sensor

*** if these didnt work then you might wanna check this***

4) most people dont kno but there are 2 speed sensors in the car: one in the tranny adn one in the back of the spedo bezel itself. if either one of these sensors go it will not register a speed. if youve never had a problem with you spedo before or if youve never fucked with ir before then it may not be that but it is a deffinate possibility which is what i think or shpold i say hope is wrong with my car....good luck

that hose you are talknig about goes to the charcoal canister, the hose from that canister either goes to the top of your intake right ontop of the throttle body, or to the evaporative purge valve on the intake plenum. look at the back on the drivers side for a little black sensor and look for a little nipple to slip that hose onto!

i don't think we messed the wires up any. i hope it is just a loose connection or something. i'll check it out tomorrow and find out. also, i just noticed that my idle isn't constant. it's not bad, maybe 200 rpms or so up and down. i've heard of something called an idle control valve (icv)? so i think that might be it, maybe a loose vacuum hose. i noticed that i had an extra hose loose after we finished and the diagram looked like it went to the back of the throttle body but i couldn't find anywhere to plug it in. it originates from this little black box near the battery and under the intake piping. i can't remember the name of it (i'll check tomorrow). i thought it might have gone to the stock intake piping and when i put my AEM on there, it might not have had a place for it. however, i could be wrong and this might be the cause of my lumpy idle.

the idle air control valve is usually refered to as the IAC, and can def be the cause of idle flucuations... some other idle fluc's can be caused by low coolant or your TPS not being correct...

i am willing to bet the VSS on your actual trans is the problem, and since you only unplugged it and didn;t remove it i would say its either in the wires themselves or the plug is not making the correct connection....
also pull that CEL as soon as possible, it may tell you whats causing your idle problem...

check out autozone.com's repair section for vacuum diagrams, that should tell you where that vac hose goes...

i'm having the same problem with my vss on my 98 integra type r swap into a civic. when i'm driving its fine and like you said after about 5-10 minutes the cel comes on but i still have a reading for the speed. what do you think?

ok, i got my speedo fixed. what happened was i was looking at the reverse light sensor. i thought it was the speedo sensor and we couldn't remember unplugging anything else but we found a plug further back on top of the transaxle and that fixed it. thanks for ya'lls help. still have a fluctuating idle but i can deal with that for now. the vacuum hose i was talking about is the intake control solenoid valve. the hose runs from that black box to the back of the throttle body and that is there. however, the hose that i have loose comes back out of the black box and i don't know where the other end goes. it's not on the vacuum hose diagram under my hood. both hoses are number 8. if anybody has any clue about this i'd appreciate it.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Mar 12 2005, 02:34 PM
pull your CEL code...
is it for the VSS?
[post=472644]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah, its 17 and that is vss.

Back