Speedometer & Odometer stop intermittently. Help, por favor!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xaviermxp

Howdy, Y'all. And thanks for taking the time to read my post.

I've got a '91 Prelude 2.0 si. The speedometer and the odometer will stop working at random, then start up again -- at random. Read similar posts, but mine may be a bit different -- or maybe i'm just confused.

assumed it had something to do with the vehicle speed sensor (not the power steering speed sensor). tested it with a 12-volt test lite. no power going to the sensor, regardless of whether the car is running or just has accessory power. is this supposed to be this way?

but, after reading some of the posts here where folks had similar problems, began to wonder if it had anything to do with my power steering speed sensor (as this seems to be the sensor that folks were referring to as the vehicle speed sensor). My power steering had a major leak -- as in running damn near bone dry -- and i wondered if the fact that the P. S. speed sensor wasn't getting any fluid would impact the speedometer. i've since fixed the leak, but haven't been able to test the car yet, as it's being repaired. driving it slowly back and forth in my driveway didn't cause the needle to move, though.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

:tpp:

I have a 91 integra, and I don't know if it's the same system, but the speed sensor on my car is a mechanical gear that's inserted into the transmission on the backside. the gear drives a cable that goes into the backside of the speedometer. It's possible that either the gear in the transmission or the gear in the backside of the speedometer could be missing teeth somehow.

the gear is cheap and easy to replace. use needlenose pliers and yank lightly to get it out. its basically a metal rod with a plastic gear pressed onto it. follow a thick, non-pliable black "wire" from the firewall behind your gauge cluster to the tranny. it screws out. then you can pull the gear.

the P/S sensor is just so that when you are at idle and turn the wheel, it revs the car up 100-200 rpms so that the car doesnt bog.

Back