speedshops = f*cking frustrating

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90 accord

Chicks dig the box
VIP
so i used to buy my stuff from www.southwestautoworks.com they have a shop local to me, but they specialize in nissans. every time i'd order a part from them, i'd get it about a week after i had originally been quoted. i decided to find another shop after they gave me a run around.. i ordered a header from them, they say thursday it'll be in *it was monday* i call thursday they say its not in yet, so next tuesday, i call tuesday, its not in again, they say friday, i call friday and it's not in. i say fuck you and cancel *hadn't payed them yet* so i switch to a new shop, www.hpautoworks.com i know the owner, so i figure he'll be able to give me good prices and all, in which he does. so i order the header from him, and i get it 2 "business" days later*ordered on friday, got on tuesday* in which is the exact time i was quoted. i order a cf hood *vis, oem style* from him on wednesday*of last week* and he says it'll be in on friday. call friday and its not in, he say's tuesday, i call tuesday, and its not in, he says today or tomorrow, and so i called him back today, and he say's it's not going to be in until middle of next week. I JUST WANT MY FUCKING HOOD GOD DAMNIT!

my question is, why the fuck do a bunch of the speed shops out there mis-quote delivery times, then push it back a week, then push it back some more. FUCK it pisses me off!

[/rant]

Yeah, this happens here in WA too.

For all my parts I bought when I bought it stripped, it took 3 days, then 5 days, then 7, then 3 weeks later I get the parts, and they ended up being wrong, but the guy knocked off prices.

I really know what you mean, they all don't know when they can get shit I'm guessing.

the best thing they can do is just not quote a delivery date. as you know the suppliers jerk them around as much as anyboby so what he is quoting is probably what the supplier told him.

Originally posted by xyswany@Dec 4 2003, 11:11 PM
the best thing they can do is just not quote a delivery date. as you know the suppliers jerk them around as much as anyboby so what he is quoting is probably what the supplier told him.

that's true, but it's not like i've spent $1000+ with him or anything, and gunna spend another $1200ish with him sometime soon. you'd think that he'd try to convince me that his company's the best when i'm about to spend that much money

the chain is like this. manufacturer jerks around supplier who jerks around shops who jerk around you. and because the guy sitting at the warehouse doesnt feel like working and is on hondaswap 24-7 you dont get your parts on time.

if they tell you 3 weeks you will probably go somewhere else......I've sold 4x4 parts before and we were told to even sell stuff that was'nt produced yet just to get the sale in the books for a month even if we had to refund it.......auto parts are bs and I feel for ya man.......try to be happy it isnt a must have to drive item

Originally posted by deth101@Dec 5 2003, 12:12 AM
if they tell you 3 weeks you will probably go somewhere else......I've sold 4x4 parts before and we were told to even sell stuff that was'nt produced yet just to get the sale in the books for a month even if we had to refund it.......auto parts are bs and I feel for ya man.......try to be happy it isnt a must have to drive item

that's true, but my car looks like ass with the current hood. it's got rock dings all over the place, the paint is bubbling and cracking, and i'm just tired of looking at it <_<

selling parts before there even availible is completely bullshit if you ask me.

Originally posted by 90 accord@Dec 5 2003, 12:23 AM
selling parts before there even availible is completely bullshit if you ask me.

Well the speedshops have a rough time selling parts with all the online and eBay discounting going on. Plus it's tough to know what to stock, as the public's taste is so fickle. Sometimes a certain Momo steering wheel is hot, and sometimes no one wants it unless it's cheap. So no speedshop wants to tie up their money in inventory. That's why they wait to order so much of it. A three week turnaround time for parts is not that bad in any industry. Car parts are heavy and no one wants to pay the premium for rush delivery service.

Yeah, I pretty much got screwed like I did because I was only 15, and I only spent like 800 bucks.

I personally plan on making a pitch next time I plan on making a major purchase or two through a local speed shop, ex: hey make some sales to me and not screw me over, or I say fuck this and go online and get it shipped and you lose XXX bucks profit.

check online before you order stuff from shops.

a lot of shops are 3rd party sellers, meaning they buy from retailers.

you'll usually end up paying a lot more than usual at speedshops for that reason.

i order almost ALL of my shit from online sites (such as inlinefour), and try to keep the business that i have to do with shops to only reputable well-known shops (jotech, PYR, etc.)

have i mentioned that outlaw motorsports suxors?

Originally posted by Slammed89Integra@Dec 5 2003, 12:38 AM
Yeah, I pretty much got screwed like I did because I was only 15, and I only spent like 800 bucks.

I personally plan on making a pitch next time I plan on making a major purchase or two through a local speed shop, ex: hey make some sales to me and not screw me over, or I say fuck this and go online and get it shipped and you lose XXX bucks profit.

thats all well and good, but i personally know this guy, and is a really good guy..

what i meant by the selling parts before they'er available meaning you can't get them for a month. if they can order it from their supplier is all welland good though..

i use jegs mopac and summit.
delevery times are great and with locals in my city i can pick shit up

Originally posted by 90 accord@Dec 4 2003, 11:07 PM
so i used to buy my stuff from www.southwestautoworks.com they have a shop local to me, but they specialize in nissans. every time i'd order a part from them, i'd get it about a week after i had originally been quoted. i decided to find another shop after they gave me a run around.. i ordered a header from them, they say thursday it'll be in *it was monday* i call thursday they say its not in yet, so next tuesday, i call tuesday, its not in again, they say friday, i call friday and it's not in. i say fuck you and cancel *hadn't payed them yet* so i switch to a new shop, www.hpautoworks.com i know the owner, so i figure he'll be able to give me good prices and all, in which he does. so i order the header from him, and i get it 2 "business" days later*ordered on friday, got on tuesday* in which is the exact time i was quoted. i order a cf hood *vis, oem style* from him on wednesday*of last week* and he says it'll be in on friday. call friday and its not in, he say's tuesday, i call tuesday, and its not in, he says today or tomorrow, and so i called him back today, and he say's it's not going to be in until middle of next week. I JUST WANT MY FUCKING HOOD GOD DAMNIT!

my question is, why the fuck do a bunch of the speed shops out there mis-quote delivery times, then push it back a week, then push it back some more. FUCK it pisses me off!

[/rant]

maybe its because they think they can get the part locally and find out they have to ship it from further away, or its on some sort of backorder....which takes more time to keep your cost from going up. would you rather wait longer or pay more??? i'd rather wait longer. it's not that they're giving you the run around, its just that they can't be sure either.

patience is your friend man.

I know that I live in a much simpler area as compared to Cali or NY, but here in TN things seem so much easier and straight forward. Here at my garage, when a kid comes in for a bodykit or parts, I call for availability while they're standing in front of me. If they want it, I make sure the payment is acceptable and call to order. If the company (Extreme Dimensions, Arospeed, etc. etc.) tells me I'll have it in 2 weeks, I tell the customer it'll be here in a month. I let them know that the company says 2 weeks, but I ALWAYS double the time. 99% of the time my order will come in a week past the estimated time quoted from the company. The customer is then pretty happy that it came in a week earlier than the time I quoted. Everyone seems happy. :D

Having worked for a rather large *snicker* "speed shop" I can gaurantee you its not the shops fault. Suppliers jerk shops around like they are going out of style...especially Nuespeed...worse supplier I have ever dealt with. When you place an order with them, the rep on the line tells the shop it'll go out tomorrow, when in reality it goes out 8 business days when the guy in shipping gets off his horse and actually does his work for the day.

Just be patient with aftermarket stuff...9 times out of 10 it isnt the shops fault.

Back