spinning on shift... won't hook up well

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Iquark

Well, I have the setup in my sig, and when ever I shift hard at redline, I end up spinning the tires at about 7500 for a bit then it hooks up for a sec then it's another shift point. This really happens going into second and a little less into third, and I'm wondering if there's a better technique that will provide less wheel spin. I have a feeling that when I am spinning the tires there I am looking acceleration, and therefore speed. Does anyone have any advice about this? I don't know if it's because of power, and is the best and fastest way to do it, or if there is some way which would be faster. Thanks for any help,

Ian

Hmmm, so I should match revs ont he shifts, and not go for the older muscle car full throttle shift? The tires are only about 6 months old, and they have been great for 'road racing' type activities I do. I bought them due to the incredibly high ratings they got from all the sites I had visited.

A lightned fly wheel would help, now that I think about it, as the revs would drop fast enough fort the shift to be fast, and the revs match. Thanks for the advice,

Ian

A limited slip diff would probably help. I've ridden in hatches like mine with USDM gsr trannies and they do that if they're not super precise with shifting. Mine hooks up like nothing with my JDM LSD tranny. Just food for thought.

Ya, I'm thinking I'm going to drop the tranny and put an ACT XACT flywheel in for quicker rev drops, and also a new clutch. I just got an estimate on replacing the syncros on my car and they wanted ~ 1000$, and that's with the tranny already droped and being brought in in a crate. I could get an ITR tranny for not much more... Thanks for the advice!

theres nothing wrong with power shifting i do it and havent had no problems, around my way in newark u get mad respect for chirping ur gears abd wen we race at e town thts all u here from street/strip imports

Ummm, thanks for bringing up an old thread. If I wanted to spin my tires, I could do it all day long, what I want though is the most traction, and therefore the most speed. For people with underpowered cars though, it's amazing when they can spin, or even chirp into second...

Originally posted by jdmh04@Mar 4 2004, 04:16 PM
theres nothing wrong with power shifting i do it and havent had no problems, around my way in newark u get mad respect for chirping ur gears

Wow, that is funny! LMMFAO!! :lmao:

I have broken 2 trannies in my life and it was both due to that same kinda shit.

Originally posted by jdmh04@Mar 5 2004, 12:16 AM
theres nothing wrong with power shifting i do it and havent had no problems, around my way in newark u get mad respect for chirping ur gears abd wen we race at e town thts all u here from street/strip imports

:newbie: do you even know what a transmission is? Do you realize that it has lots of moving parts that when slammed together can BREAK (there are gears in there, its not magic). Don't expect your tranny to last if you going to fuck it everytime you shift. If treated correctly it should last 200,000 miles.

Originally posted by ktanaka@Feb 25 2004, 06:00 PM
Dont power shift (read: match revs):
1. You lose traction
2. You will kill your tranny
3. Burns out the clutch

uhhh not really.

you hit your revlimiter

well i really hope you're not powershifting. the person who said there's nothing wrong with it is obviously about due for a big surprise.

i'm guessing you're letting off the throttle, shifting, and quickly stomping right back on it like everybody does. try this: let off, shift, and don't stomp, but rather give it partial throttle, just for a split second to hook up, then put it through the floor. :D or try to modulate it. know your footwork.

also, a lighter flywheel is a really great mod to do. the lighter the better. i've got an 8.8lb prolite, and am gonna go with the 6.75 lb comptech next. it really makes the car come to life. better tires of course will help solve the problem, and also make sure you're running the correct pressure. and most importantly, look into an lsd. won't help too much on the shifts, but man you'll love it in the corners and launch.

what tires are you running?

Back