spun bearing on b18a1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sleepercrx90

i just spun a bearing on my crx b18a. i took the oil pan off and cylinder 2 is spun. the crankshaft is still nearly perfect(some emery cloth will polish it out) however the rod needs conditioning, im takin it to the machine shop for repair.

here is the question, would it be ok to put new rings on stock cylinders and pistons, also, would it be ok to but new rod bearing on a crank that i polished. could i use the stock rod bolts to. i just read about the b16a2 that was rebuilt badly and blew up. i dont want that to happen to me. any advice would be nice...

This all depends friend.
Stock rings is fine stock rod bolts is fine....unless you put a b16 head on there. If you're running about 7k revs = bad.
I'm sorry I might be a little conservative. I've never had a motor blow up tho.
What I would do is I'm sure you wanna do a lsvtec goahead and spend $300 on a set of eagle rods and arp rod bolts. Shit it will save you a motor in the long run.

With the rings. Do it, but since you have the block off take it in and have the cylinder walls polished and check with the mechanic if you can go 1 ring size up. Probably not. I doubt it actually and prolly wouldn't anywho

Lastly. If you've spun bearings look at the head......and take that crank in for a rebalance. I'd be apprehensive to use it again after that. It may be bent just a tiny little bit but hell 1000 spins a second with a ~15lb hunk of steel with levers attached to the end.....kick that up to 6000 revs??

Its expensive but... be anal you will spend more and such but damn you will have a reliable car and wont be fixing broken shit all the time.

thanks for the input: by the way, i dont plan on LS/vtec and the motor is still in the car . it looks like the motor must come out to get the crank out. i have sent the head off to the machine shop to have it checked out, it came back good.

is it worth pulling the motor out to have the crank looked at by a machine shop. Could i just use a caliper measurement tool to check the crank. Also, would it be a good idea to hone the cylinders before putting it back together.

do you think it could have even more problems if i polished the crank and put rod bearings on, without having the crank checked.

so basically what i am asking is, will the same thing happen again(spins bearing) if i put it back together with new rod bearings and new piston rings. The motor probably wont see past 5k rpms, its my daily driver

take the crank out and get it checked, period.
the crank will not bent from a spun bearing it will get scratched.
the machine shop can order you a crank kit with bearings for around $160+/- if the one you have is too scratched.

the rods are fine with the oem rod bolts

you should get a fresh hone for the new rings, for good measure.

new head bolts, the old ones can get stretched & arp head studs are a great $130 upgrade

Back