spun rod bearing motor OK after rebuild?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dstrout

(I'm not sure if this belongs in 'engine building' or 'general maint.', so sorry if it's in the wrong place)

I have a chance to get a 1995 B18B (OBD-1 I think) with 140K miles & a spun rod bearing for $250. I was planning on buying a JDM B18 to put in my '93 del sol, but those are $700+ w/o tranny.

Is there any reason to not buy the damaged motor & do a lower-end rebuild with upgraded crank / rods / arp bolts / etc.? Seems like I'd end up with a stronger motor for the same $$ I was going to spend. Could also throw an Eagle stroker kit in there... :D

My eventual goal is a daily-driven, boosted B18 putting out 250-300 HP, so I don't need an insane race motor, but I do want to build something reliable.

thanks,
dave.

Cool. I was planning to tear down and replace the rods, crank, and bearings on a running engine as well, so that's no different. I guess we'll see how it goes!

thanks,
dave.

^^^

The stock crank can handle power well beyond your 250-300whp target. Very few people swap the crank- even the pros on the drag circuit use the stock crankshaft, and they put down 800whp+.

Just rebuild the engine with some forged pistons and rods, and you'll be good to go for 400whp or more depending on tuning.

ok -- not having to buy parts is always good.

thanks to all for the info,
dave.

Back