Spun Rod Bearing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

unsivil_audio

Ninja's pwn samuri's.
Okay, so i think I spun a rod bearing yesterday, which is weird cause I wasnt even on it hard, and I hadnt raced anyone that day. So that sucks. But anyways, does anyone know if you can drop you oil pan without taking the motor out and replace rod bearings? Because I think I've caught it early enough that I wont need to pull the crank and have it machined or anything. The knock is barely audible at idle and it only get loud after about 2500. My motor has about 105000 miles on it. It is a 96' Civic DX with the stock D16y7. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thankx in advance

Joel

:(

IMO the first revolution after you spun the bearing is too late to just replace the bearings. You need to have the crank turned.

I think Ls/vtec is correct. I have replaced rod bearings on my dads minivan. I knew it would'nt work. But he insisted. Cheap ass! it lasted all of 3 weeks and started knocking again? Also how do you know it's not a main bearing? not as likely but still. IMO i would just replace the motor. Arent those cheap anyhow? Or how about buying a good bottom end. The tolerence on the rod bearings is pretty small.

Ya you need to have it machined a spun bearing is a big deal that cause lots of damage

it cost me 75 bucks for the shop to due a chev 350

all the do is resize the crank ie remove material until it is smooth again

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Jun 26 2003, 01:06 AM
it cost me 75 bucks for the shop to due a chev 350

all the do is resize the crank ie remove material until it is smooth again

then once you remove the material, do you have to buy a diffrent size bearing?

Back