square Engines...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sergey P.A.

I know heard that B16 is almost a SQUARE engine, but what it means, I know it has to do with internals, and reving

can somebody explain it to me

thatnks

A square engine is an engine that has the same bore and stroke. A Honda example is the K20A: 86mm x 86mm. Although being close to square helps, it's because of its 1.74 rod/stroke ratio that it is a great engine to rev.

Originally posted by Sergey P.A.@Dec 10 2003, 02:34 AM
I know heard that B16 is almost a SQUARE engine, but what it means, I know it has to do with internals, and reving

can somebody explain it to me

thatnks

a believe a square engine is when the bore is the same diameter as the stroke of the crank.

how come every body say that K20 suck,

and I personally saw how a stock GSR hatch jest killed a Type S

Originally posted by Sergey P.A.@Dec 10 2003, 02:49 AM

it's not the engine that sucks, it's the pile of a car that the k-series is stuck in.

Originally posted by kylemarhx+Dec 10 2003, 12:14 AM-->
Sergey P.A.
@Dec 10 2003, 02:49 AM

it's not the engine that sucks, it's the pile of a car that the k-series is stuck in.

Are you serious? Have you driven a Type-S? The only thing it needs is an LSD. Other than that, the Type-S is sick as fuck! The chassis is awesome. The styling may be a little bubbly for some people, but it has started to grow on me. With all the Toda goodies, an NA K20 is capable of putting down much more power than the B-series, mod for mod.

IMO, all the cars that the k series come in are ass, heavy and just no, If the k series was in like a 92-95 hatch I'd have alot more respect for them, Although I've never personally experienced drving a K series, I'm sure it has plenty of potentional when put in the rght car.

I think the K20A2 w/ 6-speed tranny in an 01+ Civic coupe would be sick. I like the new Civic's styling and the '04 headlights are pretty cool, I think.

an acura legend came with a square v6 back in the day...bad ass v6, bad ass.

what i dont like bout the k20 is it spins clockwise, adding another gear to the tranny.

Originally posted by simplyfast@Dec 10 2003, 10:45 AM
what i dont like bout the k20 is it spins clockwise, adding another gear to the tranny.

How? The engine spins the "right" way compared to the rest of the industry, and it sits in the engine bay opposite the old B series orientation... it's not like the transmission input shaft is turning in a different direction relative to the car when you compare it to a B series transmission.

Think about it.

man you like 2001+ Civic Coupes=buy yourself a station vagon or a van, same thing,

but cheaper

A square engine is when the bore = stroke. K20A 86mm x 86mm. Oversquare would be B16A 81mm x 77mm. Undersquare B18C1/5 81mm x 87.2mm. This does not affect your rod stroke ratio at all. B16A has a 1.74 r/s from: 134.37mm divide by 77.4mm= 1.736

I hope that is helpful at all? Just trying to help.

Originally posted by kylemarhx+Dec 10 2003, 03:14 AM-->
Sergey P.A.
@Dec 10 2003, 02:49 AM

The RSX and Type S don't suck, but the Honda counterpart being the new Civic Si is what sucks... :ph34r:

btw the reference section needs updated badly...it doesnt even list the K20a as in any USDM 02+ Civic Si. :eek:

Originally posted by simplyfast@Dec 10 2003, 08:45 AM

How would it add another gear to the tranny?

Originally posted by Sergey P.A.@Dec 10 2003, 12:01 PM
man you like 2001+ Civic Coupes=buy yourself a station vagon or a van, same thing,

but cheaper

You're thinking the Si hatch, not the coupe.

Back