squeaky belts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The belt tensioners are located on each of the accessory pumps. I only have an alternator, so it's located on a swing bracket.

Adjusting tension on the timing belt is done through a pulley with a spring on the back. Replacing that spring is how you tighten it.

I'm wondering why everyone has assumed it's his timing belt instead of asking which one it is.

My guess is that it's the alternator belt squeeling when taking off from a dead stop. If that's the case and the belt's in good shape, it just needs to be tightened.

actually blanco. no one said timing belt. timing belts have teeth anyway.

idk why that keeps getting brought up. someone said they were talking about the timing belt earlier. no. not now either.

accessory belts.

On my B16:
AC uses a swing pully that you screw a threaded stud into the AC motor mount bracket which pushes the swing pully up to tension the belt.

P/S you need to slightly loosen the bolts that hold the P/S pump in place, on the top of the motor, where the pump bolts to the engine mount. Then there is a threaded stud you turn left or right to raise or lower the pump to tighten the belt accordingly. Then tighten down the mount bolts to hold it in place.

The alternator has 1 bolt on the top side that needs to be loosened. then pull the alternator back by prying it with a large strong flat head screw driver or crowbar whilst tightening the 1 top mounting screw.

Last edited:
i was changing the oil today and fuckin around i guess i found the tensioner and tightened the belt that was squeaking. it wasnt much, but enuff where its dont squeak. the belts look great, so there wouldnt have been any point in replacing them.

Back