Squeeaak!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

StealthMode

Kung Foolin'
Hey guys, I've been enjoying my DA (1990 Teg, GS) for close to a year now and I think it's getting to that time where it needs some love.

Issue #1: It's been making a horrific squeaking noise lately. This only happens when the car is moving. I haven't tested it on a hill and just started rolling, but when I take off, the car begins to squeak. Each squeak is about 3-4 seconds long, and it seems like I can hear a very slight clicking sound at the beginning and end, as if something is turning on, squeaking, and then turning off. My first thought was that this was a fan belt or something, but I'm not so sure now.

There is also a very slight hissing sound that I can hear from inside the car while I'm driving. Both noises stop when the car stops moving, but if I'm rolling in neutral like coming up to a stop light, it still squeaks and hisses till the car is not in motion anymore.

Could this possibly be an A/C problem?

Issue#2: When I bought the car, it had a radar detector wired in through the clock on the top of the dash. The clock never functioned. I was driving up to a banquet, and smoke started pouring out from the connection point on the radar detector itself, where the cord plugs in. When I pulled over and yanked the cord out, it continued smoking a very toxic smelling mess from inside clock area. I pulled out the clock, and there is a melted mess of exposed wires.

Someone didn't wire the detector in properly, and now my cd player doesn't work, the overhead lights don't either. The light that says my trunk is open, and that any door is open (2 different lights in the gague cluster) are stuck on.

So when the wired fried, it shorted out a bunch of other stuff. Do you guys think that I'm going to have to take out my dash to re-wire that mess, or can it be done without taking it off? Also, do you think that I'll have to replace the connectors, or should it be enough to just cut and replace the melted parts?

I'm waiting to replace any popped fuses until I get the exposed wires fixed.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Well, this has all come about recently. The car's been great, so far and I really enjoy it. I'm just hoping this stuff won't cost a lot because I'm facing a lot of expense coming up in the very near future.

Oh, and one more thing I forgot to mention: the car loses power a little for a second or two (bogs) when taking off or changing gears. What can this be?

Back