Stainless Steel Brake Lines

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

zueke

Hey, I just got my goodridge stainless steel brake lines. Since I live in the winter wonderland I call Michigan with road salt, sand and other crap on the roads I am somewhat concerned about grit getting under the braid and wearing on the teflon underneath.

I can clearly see there isn't even enough room right now to get 1 piece of sand in, but I know it only takes 1 piece to wear a hole thru, given some time.

I was thinking about covering them with silicon hose but I know can't remove the crimped line ends to get the hose over.

Does anyone have experience with coating these lines with a silicon sealant or some sort of urethane? Or am I just being insane and nothing will ever get under these? (I sure would hate to see the day my brakes suddenly fail!)

And for the people who will reply "why did you get them then, idiot!" I got them because I have 2 collapsed factory hoses and the stainless steel is actually less expensive then buying all new rubber.

stoptech SS lines have a teflon or silicon coating on the outside, so no road debris can get in there. This would really be the only "safe" method I could see.

I would defently not try to remove the crimped ends. To actually get them back on, maybe impossible to do it right.

also, :moved: This should be in brakes....

My Goodridge SS lines have survived 2 Colorado Winters and 2 years in the desert that is Southern New Mexico(read lots of dust in the air). I don't think anything is going to get in there and wear a hole.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Jun 16 2004, 11:03 AM
My Goodridge SS lines have survived 2 Colorado Winters and 2 years in the desert that is Southern New Mexico(read lots of dust in the air). I don't think anything is going to get in there and wear a hole.

Just out of curiosity, how many miles do you travel per year approx? That's good news to hear. I just want to validate it in my situation is all. I drive approx 18000/year.

Thanks for the info and I will definently consider doing nothing to them... Especially since they look so sweet right now!

asmallsol: Thanks for putting me into the right category, I am sick and didn't notice.

My Lines have about 50,000 miles on them, no problems. I drive about 12K-15K miles a year depending on how many times I drive to CO from southern NM.

Back