1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

start, no start, start, NO start....

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by 90B16a1si, Mar 3, 2006.

1. 90B16a1si

90B16a1si Member

My B16 was starting fine and running pretty well for a while this winter. Then, it wouldn't start tuesday night, started wednesday, then nothing since then. It either started immediately or not at all. It is getting spark. I would think it was fuel related, but then it seems like it should run at least poorly. I can't find any loose wires. Any ideas?

2. D See 2

D See 2 Senior Member

Check grounds.

3. DelSlo

DelSlo Senior Member

if you want to know if its fuel related forsure take off the intak pipe, spray some flammable throttle body cleaner into the intake while someone cranks the car, if the car sputters and tries to start, you know your not getting fuel there, if the car does nothing with the intake cleaner sprayed into the throttlebody when cranking then you have no spark. but make sure it is flammable, sounds dumb, but they do make non flammable intake cleaner and brake cleaner! :)

4. MugenCRX

MugenCRX Senior Member

Is it a crank no start, or do you have battery power, but no crank no start?

5. flydex28

flydex28 Senior Member

I was gonna say check the grounds also.

6. 90B16a1si

90B16a1si Member

Good advice. Which grounds? (just in case I don't have them anymore) I took this project on from someone else, which I wouldn't recommend but it sure is a blast to drive when it starts.

The car turns over easy enough. It started once this past weekend.

All automotive fluids should be flammable except oil. I don't know why, it just seems right.

7. GSRCIVICTN

GSRCIVICTN Lost in a sea of rednecks

I wouldn't think that you don't have the appropriate grounds if it has started in the past. What they mean is to check and make sure you have a good connection on all and that they are clean and free of corrosion. Start at the battery.
    All fluids are definitely not flammable. We would be in trouble if they were. The key thing is the flash point of the fluids. They are so high, the chances of them combusting is slim.

8. 90B16a1si

90B16a1si Member

Just for the record, my recently (professionally) installed walpro fuel pump has failed. Thanks for all the advice. The car is now in the backyard with the gas tank hanging out. Too bad I have to drive the FD.

9. 90B16a1si

90B16a1si Member

I decided to try and hook power directly to the fuel pump and it ran! The car started right up. I am glad I haven't replaced the pump yet. Why would the pump not be getting any voltage?

10. ripperbone

ripperbone angry bear

check your main fuel relay. I had that problem in my crx and thought it was the fuel pump so I replaced it with a walbro and a couple days later did the same thing, turned out it was the main fuel relay

i take it is in your civic? if so the main relay is right by the hood release inside the drivers compartment

11. 90B16a1si

90B16a1si Member

At least I can drive it around now. I just jump the pump wire. Do the relays fail or is likely a connection? I want to buy a relay before I can take a look at it so I can just fix it and be done. Are they expensive?

Thanks for your help!

12. ripperbone

ripperbone angry bear

the relays fail, like i said it did in my crx, and I thought it was the fuel pump, and since you jumped the wire to the fuel pump then it is your relay

13. 90B16a1si

90B16a1si Member

Do you know which relay I need? I called the parts store and he listed a bunch of part numbers that don't match my little black box. I am not sure which one to buy.

Thanks in advance.

14. ripperbone

ripperbone angry bear

heres a picture from the search i did on a main relay
    [​IMG]
    just take yours out and take it to the parts store and have them match it

15. 90B16a1si

90B16a1si Member

Thanks!

That is the same relay as mine, as I'm sure you know. They don't deal much with them ferrin cars up here in the boonies.

16. 90B16a1si

90B16a1si Member

The parts store can't figure it out and I am having trouble finding the part number online. Should I call the dealer or does anyone know which one I need?

17. ripperbone

ripperbone angry bear

thats cause the people at parts stores are idiots and usually have no clue on cars. call the dealer and talk to the parts department and see if they will give u the part number of the relay, or if you have a junkyard go hit them up and see if one of thier cars has the relay

18. 90B16a1si

90B16a1si Member

Good idea.
    Thanks.

19. ripperbone

ripperbone angry bear

idk if this part number is right but I look through a parts system for hondas and this might be the oem part number for the main relay, you might want to call honda and double check.

part# 39400-sh3-003

20. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

Check the single black wrie that comes from the engine harness and clips to the single spade connector on the starter, if it wiggles around remove it and either replace w/a new spade connector or simply crimp the ends down again.

This is not hte 10mm power wire that comes from your battery and hooks to the starter, its a single small wire with a spade connector.

My car did this, I did the above mentioned and all is fine.

Good Luck

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted