started for the first time

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

alaskancodkiller

I just started the swap for the first time, it's a zc into a dx civic. I'm pulling codes 5,9,14.

5 maf sensor- all 3 wires are getting around 5v, and the 2 at the ecu are getting around 3v. does this mean that the sensor ($155) is bad, or what???

9- doesn't matter on tb, vehicles...

14 IAC valve- all coolant is in, no air bubbles.. once again ($150) sensor??

it sounds good for about 5-10 seconds then kind of sputters, it is also backfiring. on a carb I would check the timing... but I don't know about this new electronic stuff...

anybody know any more tricks, or ideas... all help is appreciated.

Originally posted by alaskancodkiller@May 31 2005, 04:38 PM
I just started the swap for the first time, it's a zc into a dx civic. I'm pulling codes 5,9,14.

5 maf sensor- all 3 wires are getting around 5v, and the 2 at the ecu are getting around 3v. does this mean that the sensor ($155) is bad, or what???

9- doesn't matter on tb, vehicles...

14 IAC valve- all coolant is in, no air bubbles.. once again ($150) sensor??

it sounds good for about 5-10 seconds then kind of sputters, it is also backfiring. on a carb I would check the timing... but I don't know about this new electronic stuff...

anybody know any more tricks, or ideas... all help is appreciated.
[post=505796]Quoted post[/post]​

is this a DOHC ZC?

Code 9 is Cylinder Position Sensor - in distributor on SOHC ZC - on end of exhaust camshaft on DOHC ZC - seldom goes bad on DOHC ZC - code 9 on DOHC ZC usually indicates the exhaust camshaft timing is off or the sensor is wired incorrectly

Backfiring - do you have spark plug wires on correct? on DOHC ZC #1 is at the top and then #3, #4, #2, going clockwise when looking at distributor cap

Code 5 - MAP sensor - do you have vacuum line connected right? code 5 usually means vacuum line - electrical problem with MAP would throw code 3 - vacuum line for MAP comes off of throttle body at the port closest to the front of the car

Code 14 - EACV - do you have correct connector to it? - we see a lot of DX swaps that have the wrong connector plugged into the EACV - has 2-wire connector with a blue/yellow wire and a black/yellow wire - the connector with orange wire and black/yellow wire doesn't connect to anything on MPFI engine

thanks!!1 now all I have is the code 14.. I had the wires on the cam angle sensor backwards, hooked up the vacuum line for the map sensor, and those 2 went away.

I checked and I have the right wires for the eacv.
and the spark wires are correct...

Originally posted by alaskancodkiller@Jun 1 2005, 11:02 AM
thanks!!1 now all I have is the code 14.. I had the wires on the cam angle sensor backwards, hooked up the vacuum line for the map sensor, and those 2 went away.

I checked and I have the right wires for the eacv.
and the spark wires are correct...
[post=506176]Quoted post[/post]​

you could try cleaning the EACV and see if that works, although i haven't had much luck with that - i usually just swap on a different one

Originally posted by alaskancodkiller@Jun 4 2005, 04:12 PM
what years/engines should I order the eacv for???
[post=507887]Quoted post[/post]​

88-91 Si, HF or 90-91 EX

Back