starter going bad?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16

Super Moderator
VIP
this is my 94 del slo vtec.

recently, when i try to start the car, first turn nothing happens... i back off on the key and try again and it starts. for some reason, seems to never turn over on the first try of the key, but second gets it. then today, every time i've started it, right when the motor kicks on its own, the starter grinds... like whne you try to start the car and its already running. i'm thinking my starter is on its way out? anyone else experience this?
thanks

starters are stupid easy to swap out. theres like 2 bolts, if i was u id grab one of my buddy;s starters that match up, throw it in and see if the same thing happens... it takes like 5min to swap one... thats wut id do.. good luck man
Tyler

ya, i know its easy to replace the starter, i've pulled it plenty of times. no one around me has a b series honda, so that is not really an option.

anyone else?

Go to autozone and have them hook your car up to one of there battery testing machines. It could be your battery is getting old and not providing enough CCA's. Also, pull out the starter, and with a ground cable and a battery charger, you can get the thing to turn on. Check to see if the bendix is extending fully, and if the thing squeals alot, the bearings are probally shot.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jul 2 2004, 11:43 PM
Go to autozone and have them hook your car up to one of there battery testing machines. It could be your battery is getting old and not providing enough CCA's. Also, pull out the starter, and with a ground cable and a battery charger, you can get the thing to turn on. Check to see if the bendix is extending fully, and if the thing squeals alot, the bearings are probally shot.

^^^^Also a good way to test your ignition switch. ;)

Back