starter...I think

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I was wondering, my friends civic is starting really weird. like it will crank normal, but once it starts it will make a bad grinding sound then shut off. whats going on? I think that its the ignition system itself and to just use a starter button, but he thinks that it's the starter solenoid. does anyone know whats wrong?

alright, thank you. I guess what was going on is there is something wrong with the ignition it self. like the only way it would stay running is if you held the key all the way on..like if you let it go like you should it will die. and that grinding sound is from keeping the clutch all the way in. So I was thinking of just throwing in a push button so I don't really have to mess with the key. do you know off the top of your head what size the nut is on a starter (where the battery hooks up)?

There should be 2-3 bolts holding it on, plus the connections for the power. I'd say anywhere from 10-12 mm.

Be sure to disconnect the battery before trying to toy with removing the starter.

Back