Starter will not engage

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Rejecked

Hello,
I have a 96 Civic DX that I am having problems with. I had a D16Y8 (and wiring harness) and converted to manual tranny a few years ago (180k on that engine now). I had a new tranny (clutch and all) installed about a year ago, with about 60k since installed. I am in the process of swapping in a D16Y7 (using the D16Y8 harness). I got it all together and ready to crank but my starter is giving me problems. The starter is the one I had on my D16Y8, it worked fine 2 weeks ago. The flywheel, clutch and pressure plate are also from the D16Y8.

The starter whines like it is spining and I can hear a slight "thud" leading me to believe the starter is trying to engage but is not catching the flywheel. I took the starter to AutoZone and they said it was good. The teeth on the starter are solid, no chips, excessive wear. I turned the flywheel about a 1/4 turn and all the teeth look good as far as I can tell. The 3 wires attached to the stater are on tight (had to replace the little clip on the smallest wire). My tranny ground is attaced to a bracket like before. As far as I can tell the starter is working fine it just not reaching the flywheel or something. I tried hitting the starter with a hammer. If i attach jumper cabels to the actual starter I can make the gear pop out. I tried to unmount it and start but it didn't do anything (not grounded maybe?)

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong or any suggestions on what to check?

if you are using the same tranny and the same starter then it's probably the starter, it may just be a coincidence that it's not working now, I would shoot for a new starter, if it does the same thing then just return it. Other than that I have no ideas.

I took the started back to AutoZone and had themcheck it again. The starter passed with no problems. If I jump a wire from the small switch to the terminal the battery goes to and connect it to the battery and ground it, it will work. The starter spins and pops out. The problem is not the operation of the starter or the wires leading to it.

Why would the Starter miss the Flywheel? The flywheel is not locked up, I have turned it about 1/2 a turn now. The starter is not making a connection to th flywheel for some reason. Anyone have any suggestionsfor me?

Thank you.

also the flywheel is a stock flywheel and the starter and flywheel were both working on the D16Y8. I transferred the flywheel and all to the D16Y7 along with the transmission.

It could be possible that your starter is not fully engaging the shaft in order to get it started. Make sure you have a fully charged battery and also check all your terminal ends from battery,alternator, and starter to be sure they are all clean and tight. If you have corrosion make sure you clean it with a wire brush. Good luck!

I measured yesterday and I have roughly a 1 3/4 inch from the back of the flywheel to where the starter mounts and the starter bendix (the gear that pops out, is called bendix?) is popping out just a tad more then an 13/4 inch. (maybe an eight inch more).

I checked and the flywheels for Y7 and Y8 have the same stock number and I put it on the same way I took it off from the Y8.

I am bypassing the ignition switch completely and just jumping the starter from the battery. The terminals on the battery are clean and the jumper cables are making a good connection on both the starter and the battery.

is the starter from a manual trans that your using? soo it was workin fine and all was good then poof no engagement?

Yeah it is the same manual transmission (flywheel etc.) and the same starter that I was using before.

It worked perfectly fine before with the old engine. I am swapping the Y8 for a Y7 because the Y8 lost compression in 1 cylinder. The starter was working before I took it off and swapped the engine out. Now that I got the Y7 in and the starter and transmission swapped over it will not engage.

Yeah it is the same manual transmission (flywheel etc.) and the same starter that I was using before.

It worked perfectly fine before with the old engine. I am swapping the Y8 for a Y7 because the Y8 lost compression in 1 cylinder. The starter was working before I took it off and swapped the engine out. Now that I got the Y7 in and the starter and transmission swapped over it will not engage.

hmmm soo its the same trans, flywheel, and starter as was on the y8. you just have it mated to the y7. same everthing diff motor...wow thats the same friggin motor pretty much. thats nuts how it just wont engage

yeah the stock numbers at AutoZone for the flywheel and the starter are the same for both motors. So there seems to be no reason why it would not work. This has me damn baffled. Not like a starter or the starting system is a complex process. It spins, pops out, turns flywheel and your golden. Only one way to put the starter in, one way to bolt the flywheel up...theres no elaborate way to line it all up but something is a miss here.

the starter workd fine at first right? is there a way you can try another known good starter? even if autozone said it was good id try another one. somebodys gotta have one layin around somewhere

If I un-mount the starter and jump it using the cables i can see it spin and the bendix popping out. when it is mounted it is making the eact same songs so i assume it isworking fine while mounted. Unfortunately I do not know anyone that would have a starter, or know what a starter even is. Although I dont believe it is the starter it seems to be working perfectly fine.

man thats frustrating as hell....i searched a bit and cant seem to see why the starter solenoid works but does not contact the flywheel. i mean the only real diff in starters would be manual or auto. crazyness

Did you figure out what the problem is? I have a 1997 prelude and bought a new starter still didnt work. I got the old one back had it rebuilt and still have the same issue. Help please

this thread is over 5 years old
you will have better luck creating a new thread

Back