starting issue/ head gasket?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

polarpopking

I'm new to these forums. I just bought a 90 crx si. It doesn't run at the moment. The compression is very low in two of the cylinders and won't even start. Would this be a head gasket issue? I can't figure it out. THanks.

it could be a head gasket issue. but since there is no compression in two cylinders i would recomend pulling the head off anyway with plans on a new head gasket. compression loss is due to bad head gaskets, bad valves or valve seats, worn piston rings, high mileage, or worse....a cracked block. you could have a cracked head too but thats an easy fix. all of these are easy fixes really. cost is another issue. so pull the head off and inspect the cylinder walls. pat close attention to the two cylinders you have compression loss in. also, visit a machine shop and have them inspect the head. personally i'd just have them do a valve job on it regardless. when you put it back together, i recomend using a dealer timing belt and a dealer head gasket. replace the water pump with a cheaper lifetime warrantied autozone part while youre at it. on honda engines, the valve guides are known to wear out often. the shop can refurbish them but i always have the macine shop replace them with new ones. this will usually cost about 100 bucks more with your valve job. let me know how it goes. good luck

ok I'll see what I can do. get to work on it all weekend so I hope all goes well. I'll let you know. Thanks for your help I appreciate it.

Back