Starting Issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

So i go out to start my car today and it wont start...its not the battery and its not the starter or the solenoid. I thought i was a relay cause i heard it clicking when i tried to start it. So i took it out and went to honda to see what they said and they think its the ignition switch, or the solenoid. Well i tried to start it with the solenoid when u touch the negative and positive together and all it did was spark....and scared the sh*t outta me lol...so my question is does anybody know anything else it could be? i have no idea what else it could be besides the ignition switch. Thanks for any and all of your help.

Don't know if this helps, but my CRX Si was giving me some trouble after I purchased it from an old guy. I did your basic tuneup, everything but plugs, and it ran a little better but not great still.

Threw in some new plugs, correctly gapped, and it's 100% better. The old plugs were off by about 800% or so, that is, 800% overgapped, ridiculous!

Might try that though, could help?

I dont know yet i dont think the fact that it was running fine yesterday and not today would be the plugs but thanks anyways

Seemed to be the case with me ;)

Good luck with it though!

usually if you try to start it and all you get is a click then your battery is dead. have you checked that by chance?

yea i check the battery and everything...i ended up not getting enough contact on the solenoid. so i ended up getting it started with the solenoid. so i heard that if u can jump it with the solenoid, that means it bad. So i got a new starter and put it in cause u cant buy the solenoid by itself. and i go to start it and it does the same thing its been doing...just clicks....which isnt good...keep trying to start it and it finally fires up..same thing over and over again...so i dont think it was my main problem, but my car starts and right now thats all that matters cause i work 6 days a week so i needed a car. But yea i still dont know the problem, but like i said its started so it works for me. Thanks for all your guys input..o and did change the spark plugs too, they were gapped right this time and its idling alot better so thats good to..Thanks for all your help!

Cool man, new plugs can work wonders :)

Good luck with the rest of the diagnostics, I can only suggest simple stuff that is sometimes overlooked!

Move on to wires/rotor/cap? Thats what I did... starts like a champ now :)

edit- I noticed you have some pretty beefy bass in your in car entertainment... could this have an effect on startup, assuming they are connected and turned on? I know nothing beyond install of a head unit/speakers, so I'm not sure how the bass is hooked up. Just a thought...

haha yea it definetly is a beefy system...it shakes the shit out of everything and i have never turned it up passed half( it vibrates my windshield at that point lol) but no i disconnected everything from my battery and it was still doing the same thing...but thanks for the input...they are all running of inline fuses to haha.

what does it sound like when you try to start it? does it crank normaly? or does it sound slow during the initial crank?

now it will take a couple times to finally crank..it will click like it was before then probably about the 2nd or 3rd time it will finally turn over. But what it does before it finally starts it just clicks. I can hear a relay right beside my hood latch popper thingy clicking, soi dont know if thats the problem or not. Honda doesnt think it is, but idk

sounds like you may have a loose connection somewhere or a random short in the wiring. make sure that the wires are tightly connected on the starter,

Back