Starting out

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

daemonkron

Hello everyone. Im 17 years old and have just recovered from a damn bad broken leg. The thing is, i wrecked my 240sx so bad, i was pulling pieces out of my shoe. Anyway, i didnt have collision insurance, and i just started working again so I dont have that much money. I was looking at CRX's before I bought my 240 and decided that I want that to be my next car. Ive never done any motor swaps before and I was wondering if someone could maybe help to set a path for me. My questions were, Is this a good Honda to start out with, and the other was, What type of motor swap would be suitable for a beginner? I also kinda wanted to know if there were any downsides into swapping a motor into a CRX as opposed to another honda model. Just looking for some opinions and suggestions. Thanks

well, a CRX is a good car as long as it's in decent condition. Don't pay more than 2 grand for it.

A good motor depends on your plans.

You want a turbo drag car thats fairly quick, still streetable and will get you wins? Get a GSR b18c1 and turbo it.

You want an NA car to take AUTOXing? Get an ITR b18c5, suspension, tires and kick ass with it.

CRX's are good, even in stock form, or a small bolt on turbo set-up....swaps are also so common, that almost anything can be swapped in...it just depends on what your wallet size is...and your plans for the car....

Me personally...I love the 84-87 CRX...the first gen....

and most everyone else has or loves the 88-91 CRX...or the 2nd Gen...

And there are a few People with 92-95 CRX'es...also known as the DelSol...and they have a few swaps availible...

It just depends on the wallet....

Being 17, you might want to look at the 1st gen era...it will keep the insurance peeps out of your wallet....older car has cheaper rates....

Swaps arn't too hard if your somewhat mechanically inclined. I swaped a b16 SiR into my CRX HF with no previous car knowledge. It was my first major project (before that, I had changed oil...once!). Oh yeah, and im 18, was 17 when I started the swap, then turned 18 a few days later. I love it. Its fun to drive, and handles well (for blown shocks, I'm getting new suspension soon). I say go for it. You'll learn a lot from a swap...and get addicted to this site :p.

<dad>if you're broke, a swap is the last tign you should be thinking about</dad>

get soemthing that will last you a long time in good shape.

Back