starting problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GlassHeadlights

West West Yall
i got a 90 accord ex-r and 98% of the time it will start then the other 2% it turns over and starts then when you let go of the key it dies instantly, then you have to try a few times to get it to start. (pumping the gas pedal, ect) any ideas?

mine does that sometimes too. In my case, my fuel pump isn't holding the pressure in the lines. The way I get around it is to let the pump prime a bunch of times(turn key off then on then off then on...). It only does it when I have less than 1/4 tank.

the usual cause for a 90-92 accord not starting is the main relay that controls the fuel pump and ignition system. On that car the relay is located up under the left side of the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

the problem happens most often in hot weather as the interior temperataures rise and cause the circuit board in the relay to crack.

that would be the first place to start if you don't have spark.

other possibilities are a bad ignition coil, bad distributor rotor or a timing belt that has broken. The percentages are with the main relay being bad as its a fairly common occurance in hot weather.

hope that helps.

but it runs if you hold the key in "start" position and the starter is moving the motor then when you let go and it springs back to "run" it dies.

its so weird, now it starts and runs perfect, i dunno

Ignition switch. Replace it. At first, it will be an intermittent problem. Soon after, it is permanent. Fix it while you can. And when you order the part, be sure to let them know whether it is standard or automatic.

The switch isnt where the key goes into, that is the lock cylinder. The switch is at the end of the lock cylinder and is held in place by two philips head screws. Remove the two screws and pull the switch out. That piece, along with the associated wiring is what needs to be replaced. Your lock cylinder should be fine, but I can't say 100% without seeing it.

Ignition switch. Replace it. At first, it will be an intermittent problem. Soon after, it is permanent. Fix it while you can. And when you order the part, be sure to let them know whether it is standard or automatic.

I concur with the ignition switch. I had one go out on my civic, in the start position the car would want to fire and then as soon as I let go of the key it would ground out. I would start with the ignition switch then the main relay. I bet it's one or other.

being a cheap sob, i took it apart and lightly sanded down the contacts and wd-40'd it and it seems to work perfect now, thanks for the help

the usual cause for a 90-92 accord not starting is the main relay that controls the fuel pump and ignition system. On that car the relay is located up under the left side of the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

the problem happens most often in hot weather as the interior temperataures rise and cause the circuit board in the relay to crack.

that would be the first place to start if you don't have spark.

other possibilities are a bad ignition coil, bad distributor rotor or a timing belt that has broken. The percentages are with the main relay being bad as its a fairly common occurance in hot weather.

hope that helps.

did you google that info?? either way thats hot yo...talk honda to me :D

horny honda heads, GET A ROOM AND YOUR OWN THREAD!!, seesh there are 14 year olds present!

Back