starting problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crxricer88

ok, heres the deal, my friend and i we washed my 93 dx hb that i had just bought recently and we sprayed down the engine with a hose to clean it up...it started fine when i turned it on but later out on the road we had stopped to talk and then when i shifted to first gear i stalled. I thought it was nothing big and all so i try to start it again like i usually did...but this time it wouldn't crank do you guys know whats wrong with it?...its a manual transmission and when i step on the clutch all the way in and turn the key it doesn't sound....the battery thing lights up so i know its not the battery that was bad...but i dont' hear it crank like an automatic does....there isn't a tck tck tck sound.....its just quiet....any suggestions to what it might be?...the fuses aren't bad i don't think already looked at them...not closely but didn't seem they were the problem...my friends brother told me that it might be the main relay?....any help greatly appreciated

jus open the distributor cap, theres either two or four screws holdin it on. if there is water in it just dry it off and screw it back on. Do not take the spark plug wires off of the distributor cap, unless you mark where each one goes. if there isnt water/dampness in the cap you got a different prob.

my brother's friend said that it might have to do something with the starter? but yea i'll open the distributor cap later when i get home and see what happens..

yeah if its not ticking at all the means the starter isnt trying to engage.
you might have shorted it out if it got wet.

if it is the starter then you can always roll start it though. just push the car and once your rolling pop the clutch.

yea..i can roll start it but i don't want to roll start it everytime...would i need a new starter?...

theres shops that can test starters, youll just have to yank it out and take it to one.
you may just need a new solenoid or something.

just go get it tested, doesnt cost very much. they will tell you what you need.

Yes the starter would be my guess too.

Ps: next time you want to wash your engine and bay. Use a steam cleaner and degreaser. Spray the degreaser on and let it sit, then use the steam cleaner to finish it up.

don't know any shops down here in alabama...i live out in the countryside... :S sux to be me...i took off the starter a few times...wasn't any water in it or anything...could someone give me an estimate of how much it'd cost to get it checked out?...a new starter for my car at autozone was like $70+$25 if i didn't bring back the old one :S

Checkers, Auto Zone, Shucks, Kragen, O'riely, Napa any automotive parts store should have a machine to test it.

ok...i had the starter checked out...its not the starter i've got it tested at two different places...it pulls up around 115, or thats what the guy at autozone said..so if its not the starter then what?...i looked at the fuses none look bad a guy told me something about a rubber thing on the clutch, the clutch something i can't remember now...well yea the rubber stopper was gone...so i put a bolt there like he said...but still don't work...any ideas?...this is killing me...so tired of pushing the car downhill to start...

same thing happened to me just to knock it off the list of poss. as stupid as it sounds gets some good jumpers and jump the battery. you easily could have shorted a regulator/blown a link in the starting system anything, at least this will narrow your search. mine was a dead cell in the battery, never had one problem with it, just stopped and the same thing happened.

Back