Starts but won't run?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LowFreq

Just had the fuel relay replaced on my 91 dx for a problem I'm assuming wasn't related, and something new's come up. It died on my way to my girlfriend's house yesterday, and I was able to start it back up for a few more blocks before it happened again, but now when I turn the car over it won't stay running. It fires, and will rev for maybe a second max if I hit it, but then instantly dies out. I believe my timing belt is loose, could this problem be caused by that? Also: For a car I spent $300 on, but have put probably $1000+ into just to keep it on the road, is it time for me to cut my losses? I just spent $250 on tires, etc. a few hours before this happened, and haven't paid off the fuel relay yet... Suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated; The car is stranded in my girlfriend's yard 50 miles away.

I did the math and I've spent ~$2,000.00 since I bought the car. If I fix what's wrong now, it's still going to look like hell and have 200k on the engine and a really bumpy ride... Someone please tell me what I have to do to get it running, so I can sell it and be done with this mess.

Please explain, if you don't mind. I'm learning as I go.

You get what you pay for.
Do work yourself, try to find the best deal.
Use the junk yard for parts, ect..
You will save alot of money.
As for your problem, are you throwing any codes?

Its hard to say whats wrong with your car without actually being there. I highly doubt your timing belt came loose. Your problem may very well be the main fuel relay again. was it hot outside when this happened? Does your car have gas?
Also if you payed more than 37.50 for a fuel relay, you payed entirely way to much.

Have you checked for spark or fuel? Youll be able to track your problem down a lot easier if you know where to look for it.

pull of the distributor cap, the ignitor has four wires comming off of it, the screws holding it in are on the back of the distributor, when you replace it make sure you pull off the conductor and put it on the new one.

Back