state of the union

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

all i heard was lies lies more lies some BS some PC/cleanup BS, more lies....

ultimate failure

That is exactly correct, it was a bunch of political bullshit. I shouldnt have watched it. But I needed to so I can rebut the stupid ass folks that are around me haha.

I will just quote what I wrote on facebook...

"I think this is the first time I have watched Obama speak and was able to agree with at least 50% of what he said. Too bad that 50% was "borrowed" ideas from the Republican party or just him talking about American history."

saw part of this at the gym
"we have now gained back most of the money that we lent out to the banks"

really now?

This is actually true. We have received the vast majority of TARP funds that were injected directly into banks. This money was returned with approximately an 8% ROI. (Meanwhile, many who held the bank stocks privately made 30-100% in the stock market this year. Still, the 8% beats inflation and isn't an awful return on investment.)

However, AIG is an insurer which still owes $80billion + with the possibility of up to $160billion if the markets were to absolutely collapse again.

Furthermore, we've pumped 1.3trillion into the mortgage backed security market over the past year.

Unfortunately I was at the gym and missed the speech. I'm sure it will be on the net somewhere and articles are already popping up with highlights, but I would have liked to see him speak live. I doubt I can bring myself to actually watch the entire address after I read all the horrific lies and broken promises.

Unfortunately I was at the gym and missed the speech. I'm sure it will be on the net somewhere and articles are already popping up with highlights, but I would have liked to see him speak live. I doubt I can bring myself to actually watch the entire address after I read all the horrific lies and broken promises.

good luck
it was pretty painful

Just read the transcript on CNN's web page. It's MUCH faster than listening to the speech... talk talk talk applaud stand sit applaud wash rinse repeat. That's what I do with all these huge televised speeches- read them afterwards.

good luck
it was pretty painful

eh, i saw the "bi-partisan" congressional budget task force was shot down yesterday.

In theory the task force sounds nice, but I'm not confident that partisan politics won't overrun and undermine the entire task force. Thats a moot point since the amendment didn't pass.

The speech transcript said that he was overturning it and moving forward with it. I forget how he's able to do that though.

Just read the transcript on CNN's web page. It's MUCH faster than listening to the speech... talk talk talk applaud stand sit applaud wash rinse repeat. That's what I do with all these huge televised speeches- read them afterwards.

haha I actually told one of my little brother's friends it was worth watching if you didn't mind feeling like you were in mass. Sit-stand-kneel-sit-stand-kneel-repeat priest's words-amen-sit-stand-kneel.

The speech transcript said that he was overturning it and moving forward with it. I forget how he's able to do that though.

Won't be an amendment, therefore he can't force a vote.

He can veto and then create his own task force, but the task force won't be able to call to a vote when needed. This creates a Mickey Mouse task force.

AARP was afraid that if the task force was put in place, they would push a quick vote to cap medicaid, medicare, and social security. (Well duh, because thats the only logical way to curb spiraling costs right now)
Tax sensitive republicans were afraid that the vote would be a quick vote to pump up taxes.

Democrats and Republicans crossed lines and the actual voting results were more bi-partisan than anything I've read this year. There was about an even split of democrats and republicans that were in favor, as democrats and republicans that were not in favor.

...kind've sickening. :ph34r:

haha I actually told one of my little brother's friends it was worth watching if you didn't mind feeling like you were in mass. Sit-stand-kneel-sit-stand-kneel-repeat priest's words-amen-sit-stand-kneel.

I usually like to watch it- but chasing a kid and taking care of things around the house prevent that.

He was talking about freezing government spending in non critical areas to save $$. Isn't that the same idea of McCain's that Obama ridiculed in 2008?

I will just quote what I wrote on facebook...

"I think this is the first time I have watched Obama speak and was able to agree with at least 50% of what he said. Too bad that 50% was "borrowed" ideas from the Republican party or just him talking about American history."

Thats the problem.

Obama’s speeches are designed so that they sound GREAT to listeners. If he actually does 50% . . no . . . 25% of what he said he would do I’ll be incredibly impressed.

Last edited:
I was playing Special Ops on MW2 with my friend. I didn't watch it, because you guys would give us all a recap anyway.

I was playing Special Ops on MW2 with my friend. I didn't watch it, because you guys would give us all a recap anyway.

I don't remember what I was doing at that time I just know that even if it was taking a dump it would have been time better spent.

Back