static compression D16Y8 need thoughts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Spyderturbo

hey guys, did a static compression test on my 2000 Civic EX today. Standard procedure, pulled the fuel pump fuse and the ingnition fuse. Car uses zero oil, zero coolant, runs great, did a compression test just because I could. This is what I cam up with, starting from timing belt side, to dist. side.
235, 235, 230, 235

seemed a little high to me, but nonetheless very consistent. Car has 144K miles, I just relaced the catalyst due to failure. Looking for thoughts on the results. I'm thinking that there is some carbon deposits influencing the results. Car runs great, plugs burn clean, as does the exhaust (now)

i'd say you have an absolutely great condition motor that seems to have been taken very good care of. you forget, 144k miles is nothing for a honda that is driven nicely, has oil changed every 3000 miles, and has all maintenance performed on routine schedule. if your plugs are burning clean, i wouldn't really be concerned. a clogged cat will tend to cause problems eventually, but not if you took care of it basically right away.

be thankful!

It's not very accurate to do a compression test while the engine is cold. Your numbers should be in the 170-190 range with the car at operating temp.

It's not very accurate to do a compression test while the engine is cold. Your numbers should be in the 170-190 range with the car at operating temp.

where did you get the impression that the car was cold? The car was warmed up to normal operating temp as it should have been....

that is why I posted, I thought the numbers were a tad high, although at least consistent. Car runs great! It was a one owner that I purchased a few weeks ago...

runs great sounds great ? u have a good car. if u had carbon deposits it wouldnt run very well and probably have symptoms of detonation. test it again.

Back