Steering Assembly...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LudeBoy

Slave to the EF
The car is pulling to the right on Accel. on Deaccel alignment is fine. Out of gear alignment is fine. I can also actually move the rime Vertically maybe a 1/16 of an inch back and forth. Any ideas what the issue might be? This is on a 91 Hatch. I am tearing it down tonight to look at it.

I am not all that experienced but wouldn't that be "Torque Steer"? I always thought that was normal in a car withour LSD. Who knows maybe I am wrong.

Quoted post[/post]]
possibly a bad ball joint, in the suspension

Damn your good man... Thats exactly what it was. Do they make any aftermarket pieces for that wishbone that the upper ball joint is attached to? Mine is quite rusted.

Well I replaced both upper ball joints and Control arms. While I was at it I also replaced the sway bar links with Enegry Suspension links. It actually made the damned problem worse. Now I am at a complete loss? Any advice?

Well I got it aligned and the damned thing is STILL pulling to the right. Even crusing "not accelerating but maintaining a constant speed" it is pulling to the right. ANY ideas?

Quoted post[/post]]
Well I got it aligned and the damned thing is STILL pulling to the right. Even crusing "not accelerating but maintaining a constant speed" it is pulling to the right. ANY ideas?

when they did the alignment did they check the toe...?? some jake leg shops do not do it unless you ask

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

when they did the alignment did they check the toe...?? some jake leg shops do not do it unless you ask

Yeah this guy specializes in Alignments. Have taken all my cars to him since I was a kid. He said it could be bad motor mounts or a bad inner cv joint? Does that sound right?

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

The toe being off will NEVER cause a pull. Also, setting the toe is the more standardized, simple alignment. Caster and camber will cause a pull. If you have had an alignment and it was done right, then try this:Swap the two front tires(RF>LF and LF>RF). Drive it again and see if it straigtens out at all or pulls the other way. If it does then you have a tire problem.

Well, I swapped tires and it still pulls a little to the right but not as much. Any other Ideas?

my steering rack is FUCKED and when im cruising (with Cruise Control) the torque steer from the car making itself accelerate makes me pull. You think that might be what you are feeling?

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
The toe being off will NEVER cause a pull.
Yes it does, as a matter of fact it will more so the camber or caster. From the top | / so you are trying to say that this would not cause it to pull? But this would? : from the front | \
You are DEAD wrong on this one. It doesn't matter if one tire is 20 degrees out and the other is straight. Going down the road the steering wheel will automatically center causing both wheels to now be 10 degrees off. TRUST ME on this one. IT WILL NOT CAUSE A PULL. I used to work on cars and trucks everyday for a living and spent many hours on the alignment rack. I still work at a dealership's service department, but now I am shop foreman. I haven't forgotten THAT much. :dry:

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
The toe being off will NEVER cause a pull.
Yes it does, as a matter of fact it will more so the camber or caster. From the top | / so you are trying to say that this would not cause it to pull? But this would? : from the front | \
You are DEAD wrong on this one. It doesn't matter if one tire is 20 degrees out and the other is straight. Going down the road the steering wheel will automatically center causing both wheels to now be 10 degrees off. TRUST ME on this one. IT WILL NOT CAUSE A PULL. I used to work on cars and trucks everyday for a living and spent many hours on the alignment rack. I still work at a dealership's service department, but now I am shop foreman. I haven't forgotten THAT much. :dry:

Well look i am not saying it is the problem for sure....just what i would check first. and if you do work at a dealership them yeah toe is more then likely checked there. however if take your car to pretty much everywhere else that is cheaper then a dealership then this is something that could be overlooked.

if ONE WHEEL'S toe is off its gonna fuck up the steering. how bout you lay off the power trip.

Powertrip? I thought this guy had a problem and we were trying to help him. Does it ever help anyone by giving them misinformation? Yes, if your toe is off, the steering wheel will be crooked, but it will NEVER pull because of toe being off, and that is the problem he says he has.
I don't post information unless I know it to be true, because I would really hate to come here for info and be given incorrect info. Wouldn't you? I have that same respect for others. Last time I checked shop experience, schooling, and certifications counted for something, so why don't you get off my case.

Quoted post[/post]]
Powertrip? I thought this guy had a problem and we were trying to help him. Does it ever help anyone by giving them misinformation? Yes, if your toe is off, the steering wheel will be crooked, but it will NEVER pull because of toe being off, and that is the problem he says he has.
I don't post information unless I know it to be true, because I would really hate to come here for info and be given incorrect info. Wouldn't you? I have that same respect for others. Last time I checked shop experience, schooling, and certifications counted for something, so why don't you get off my case.

Thanks for your help guys... Much Appreciated!

Back