1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering click

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by vtecjdm, Apr 15, 2005.

1. vtecjdm

vtecjdm Senior Member

Wonder if any of you has ever had this prob. Its not quite a prob its just very annoying.

Everytime i turn the steering wheel in either sides (specially when i`m parking) .. i hear this click .. as if something is jumpin abit, the rack or i donno ... and its quite annoying feeling this click through the steering wheel.

What the hell could it be and how can i fix it ? :huh:

2. Speedracer228

Speedracer228 ......

most likely its one or both of your outer CV joints in your axles. Ive had the same problem and a new set of axles cleared it right up.

Also, what car are we talking about?

3. vtecjdm

vtecjdm Senior Member

I know what you mean but itd definititely not the axles for sure ... i`m presuming its somthin that has to do with the steering rack ... specifically where`s that sort of yellow piece of plastic like a collar that`s part of the steering rack. Hmmmmm...

There`s something jumping when i turn the wheel ... doesn`t happen all the time thats the point .. only when the steering is under load like when the car is running but not moving.

4. VTECin5th

VTECin5th Administrator

blah!, my car is doing this same thing, its really loud on speed bumps and when im slowing down, it is NOT the cv click, im too familiar with that.
    It is a THUD sound, and mine just happens whenever it feels like it, especially when stopping,and taking off.
    I was thinking steering rack/pinion and tie rod ends, it sounds like that's whats 'grinding'.
    if you figure it out , PLEASE let me know!

5. vtecjdm

vtecjdm Senior Member

Indeed i figured it out.

Donno if its the same prob you have, but on mine i just found out that the palstic washer, or spacer or whatever it is lockated at the end of the steering rack is done.
    So immagine turning your steering and at the end of the rack there is nothing to keep it straight so when it feels like it just jumps. I donno if my explanation is clear or not but anyway .. thas what it is.

Prob is you cant order it as a part .. you have to order whole steering rack... hmm :angry:

6. VTECin5th

VTECin5th Administrator

BAH, shitty dude, because the 'jumps' thing sounds like mine, only happens on an 'all the way' left turn, it seems like my wheels jump bout an inch or something, and like my wheel starts wanting to go sideways is how it feels.
    I know NOTHING about changing a steering rack, but out here, they are really common in junkyard cars.
    There is nothin like replacing junk with junk+30 day warranty.
    Im guessing changing the steering rack isnt too much fun tho :unsure:
    damn. :eek:

7. vtecjdm

vtecjdm Senior Member

Well yours seems really bad cause although i got that `thump` sound .. the steering is firm, dosent move a millimetre.
    Its also possible another thing.

The steering rack is bolted in place with 4 bolts. 2 from the top .. and another 2 at the bottom with a U bracket. Maybe you got the bottom bolts loose.

Another trick is to just remove that black sorta plastic spacer. Don`t think anything will happen without it .. unless you really have your steering moving around.
    Get a honda manual from the net and check for steering rack.

8. civiclxb16

civiclxb16 Senior Member

not to be a jerk but what does this have to do with swaps???...sorry being a jerk, but i had the same problem with my prelude every time i turned the wheel it was like a thud sound, i changed my tie rods and it went away don't know if that will help you any!

9. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted