Steering Column Bolt Stripped

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

89' Project Civic

d16a6/d16y8 "mini-me"
Hey guys, I looked around for the most appropriate area to post this thread. Please don't get mad if I posted in the wrong area. I have a steering column issue. The story is; I took out my dash to put a new cabin wiring harness on the inside of the firewall because my old one was hacked. So I decided I would take the whole steering column out because it was just in the way and got kind of annoying at some points. First off, I admit, I did not mark where the steering column splines go in conjunction with the steering box (so I am in for an annoyance at my own stupidness). I believe it is the steering box, please correct me if I'm wrong! I went to put the bolt into the steering box and through the steering column splines so to speak. It was a little hard to bolt in, but I figured it had to be considering it is a huge safety concern if it isn't. I ended up turning the bolt too hard and figured it was stripping so I looked and sure enough it was stripping. This wasn't the kind of stripping that you enjoy either. I don't know what to do now. I figure as of yet; 1) I'm going to have to call my local Honda dealer parts guy to see if he can get that bolt in, and 2) I am going to have to tap the hole out to make the threads nice and "new". I hope you can gather something from this novel I wrote. Thanks guys, any help is appreciated!!

are you talking about the u-joint at the bottom of the column where it goes through the floor? I believe they only go on one way, I think there is a grove on the shaft coming from the rack. Did you try and remove the bolt?

Yes, that's the one. It goes through the "U-Joint" and locks the steering column. I will have to check to see if it has a spline that only allows for one way installation. I already had it in once, but maybe I got lucky. The reason I think putting a nut and bolt would sacrifice safety is because I have worked in a lot of factories and know that where there is paint from the manufacturer, it is a huge safety factor and those markings are for the inspection that the government conducts.

it shouldnt be a safety issure the steering column is bolted to the firewall. If the nut and bolt hold the u-joint closed it shouldnt slip on the gear box.

Back