Steering Issue

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Teufel

Ok got a 95 Civic. Bought it about 2 weeks ago and the steering is real stiff. Like driving a car with power steering and the power steering isnt working. Only thing is I looked all over for PS pump, belt and didn't find anything. This led me to believe that it is rack-n-pinion(sp).

I have heard of some RnP systems doing this. Just don't know how to fix it. Figured while I have it on the rack and doing everything might as well address this issue at the same time.

Anyone got some clues on what it could be?

if you arnt use to not having power steering it will seem really hard to turn, espically at low speeds.

if it feels easier to turn when you are moving (anything over 10-15mph) then you just need to suck it up :p

LOL.

It is really stiff. And yes I know what its like to drive a car without power steering. I have a 67 Dodge Polara ( bigger than a 67 Caddy ). Plus I used to drive a 88 RX7 and both of those are easier to turn than this.

The steering rack looks in good shape no dents or bends. Still don't think it should be that hard to turn it.

if the tire/wheel sizes are larger than stock, there is the whole problem...but if not...
check your tire pressures. they may be low. other than that, maybe it needs an alignment.

Well yeah it does need an alignment. It pulls hard to the right. And the tires that are on it are kinda crap. Well that can be the first place it goes come spring when it comes off the rack.

yea crappy tires and being out of alignment could definitely be the problem. also, i forgot to say that if the tires have little tread left, that too can make manual steering more difficult.

Back