Steering wheel quick release

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ryangt

Ok so i just bought my wife an immaculate 1998 ls teggy last night, and we live in, not a bad area, but i know this is a higly stolen car and it has a badass leather interior that id like to keep in it. SO i wanted to ditch the stock wheel and put a quick release hub with an aftermarket wheel since im assuming theres no way to keep the stock wheel and a quick release.
My question really is what quick release is good and wont fail, has the most aftermarket wheel options and is easiest to install?. Thanks for any help you guys can offer. ive searched a bunch but not found any useful information.

a sparco stearing wheel and their pretty easy to install it's getting the stock one off thats the hardest

"help" from canada

If they want the car they tow it.

Thanks for the "helpful" comments. Ive never heard of anyone local getting their car taken as a theft by towing. Its easy to say that as a possibility, but be real, any measure of security is a deturrent and esepecially to a thief walking up to a car with no steering wheel, he at least wont get to steal it right then, and like i said, i have never heard of professional thiefs with tow trucks that would waste their time jackin a 6000 dollar crx when there are expensive cars all over the area that could just as easily be taken.

I just reciently did the same to my car since civic is prime in hawaii for theft. NRG currently makes the shortest quick release hub on the market and it wasn't hard at all to install. most quick releases are about 4 to 4 1/2in thick not to mention the added distance from the steering wheel. As for steering wheel... what ever you decide, don't go with some knock off wheel because you definitely get what you pay for. my first one I got for about $50 and about a month later the screws holding it together were rattling and coming loose. Only thing I haven't figured out is how to rewire the horn. Any suggestions?

take a pic of your horn setup and post it ill come up with sumthin 4 u

did your wheel come with a horn button???? It should just have a tab for you to plug those connectors into, its a simple wire up, just check which is ground/ power and play with it till it works, it looks really simple man, the NRG looks awesome, im buying on for sure.,hows it work so far?

Works like a charm. People get good kicks outta it when they see me walk'n into work with my steering wheel in hand and definitely does the job. Pretty slick conversion. As for the horn, I have no clue. My steering wheel did come with a horn, but it has two female connections. The column has a male and female... Been trying a lil' here and there but don't want to get too "McGyver" and short something out. Wiring isn't my strong suit lol. If you come up with anything else let me know. Thanks.

if your horn has two female connectors, just make the two connectors comming out of the column both male, it sounds like youd only have to change one of them.
lemme know if that does it

i just looked at the pics again, you should be ok if you change both the connectors comming out of the column to male blade style connectors.

Ok ... I went ahead and took pix of my project one section at a time. I'm not having any luck figuring this one :confused: out so hopefully these will show you exactly what I'm up against .

Here you can see that the steering column has two black connections(one male one female). The connecting side has one black and one red wire, but two female ends. Then you have the opposite side of the hub has the same connections (red,black & two female). Finally, the horn itself only has one male connection and no where for the second wire. :bash:
mh1.jpg

Closer view of the steering column w/o the quick release & steering wheel...

mh2.jpg

this end connects to the steering column...

mh4.jpg

this is the part that is connected to the steering wheel/horn and releases from the hub... the part on the right is the back side of the horn button

mh3.jpg

Pretty please someone help me figure this one out b4 it drives me crazy. :crazyeyes:

cut off the connectors that dont apply for you, and crimp on conectors that will work for each side of the setup, its pretty straight forward, just make them crimps tight

Im not sure about the actual horn button, my last horn button was only run by the power wire. What you should do is at the column, make both ends female. Plug them into the adapter DONE
Horn, hook up the red and see if it honks, if not try the black, if not either then you need another horn button or possibly another grounding point

Back