Steering Wheel Screeching

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMPlaya

Hey guys,

Whenever I turn my wheel to the left or right I hear this terrible annoying screeching/squeaking.. The P/S is fluid is good, what else could this be? It sounds like something needs lube, but I'm not sure.

It sounds like it could be coming from the boot looking thing (im not mechanically inclined)

your imput is kinda vague

is this noise when you're just turning the wheel to make a hard turn at low speeds , like pulling into a parking space, more of a clunking clicking noise, if thats the case it's most likely a cv joint (aka boot looking thing ). Or is this a high pitched noise when you driving at normal to accelerated speeds going around corners ?? if this is the case it's most likely your tires screaching. The last thing that comes to mine is the p/s belt if you turn the wheel all the way to the left or the right you can hear a squealing noise most likely the p/s belt

after what you described it sounds like it could be the P/S belt..not the cv joint

It screeches when I turn the wheel to the left or right like when I turn into a parking spot, I can say it's definently not my tires, I guess I need to get it up on a jack and take a look. It's starting to be very annoying.. It has a screeching noise like your stepping on some old wooden steps if that makes sense..

Hmm... more of a squeak than a screech? Check all your joints/pivots and lube them up, and make sure the belt isn't slipping.

I'm going to put it on jacks this weekend so I can try and figure out whats up

my bet goes to the loose ps belt. It'll be fine until you are putting the load on the system. Then the ps needs more power, and will cause the belt to slip. You don't have to put it on jacks to check the belt. Does it do it when you are just turning the wheel back and forth at a stop? Just pop the hood and have a buddy crank the wheel back an forth, while you check for squeaks/squeals. That's a quick and easy one.

Back