1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering wheel shakes on acceleration

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by BigBoy, Nov 29, 2005.

1. BigBoy

BigBoy Senior Member

I just had an alignment so its not that. What else could it be? I have some stiff az motor mounts, can that cause it? It only happens when i start going past 40mph . I dont really notice once im crusiing at freeway speeds. Any idea? messed up steering column?

2. B16RacerN2NR

B16RacerN2NR Working Hard VIP

your tires need to be balanced.

3. mozzandherb

mozzandherb Senior Member

Either they need to be balanced or maybe you might need new ones altogether, they could be out-of-roundness. It could also be a tie-rod end that is on the verge of snapping which makes you tire shimmy.

4. hybrid89

hybrid89 thistownsucks...

check for play in your tie rod ends, could be bad ball joints. also check the torque on you axle nuts, they should be 125-135 Ft Lbs....if not the wheel beaing is not fully compressed and will have play which causes wobble also.

matt

5. turbo99

turbo99 Member

Similar thing happened to me. It could be many things. It does sound like it is your wheel bearing since you feel it when you hit 40mph. Can you feel it only on one side? Does your car shake when you brake? Does it shake while you're turning? Do you hear any noises? Please provide more information and get back to us.

6. BigBoy

BigBoy Senior Member

no doesnt shake until maybe 50mph...its more of a big shake like wobbling...instead of small vibrations. I do hear very faintly a whining noise or rubbing noise. Could be my tranny tho.

7. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted