Steering Wheel Shakes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

randerson165

This just recently started doing this. When I press on the brakes, my steering wheel shakes like a mother. I have a 99 Civic EX. Does this mean my pads are about done ? What does this mean ?

rotors are warped

get new rotors
get new pads when you get the rotors

how does this happen. I don't think the pads are bad and this just started doing this.

Can I drive safely, how much longer untill I HAVE to get them replaced.

you can drive on warped rotors for a while depending on how bad they are

its not good... but its not super dangerous

your stopping distance will be effected so you will have to plan for that by always leaving extra space

you will not have the stability you had before when braking during a turn

they will get worse as time goes by

i really wouldnt do it any longer than you absolutly have to.... but it isnt something you can not drive on at all (untill they get really bad)

could have warped rotors but also could just be a hard spot on the rotor....try a resurfacing first and if that doesnt help.....get new ones altogether....your tire balanceing could have a small part to do with it....

resurfacing costs about what new rotors cost ... not really worth it IMO

tire balancing would cause vibration any time the vehicle was at speed and get worse as speed increased... not just when on the brakes

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 11 2004, 03:05 AM
resurfacing costs about what new rotors cost ... not really worth it IMO

tire balancing would cause vibration any time the vehicle was at speed and get worse as speed increased... not just when on the brakes

if you can find me rotors for $6 (what it cost to get a rotor turned) a piece, i'll buy them off you for $10 a piece. in my opinion tho, if your rotors are going to be cut for the first time, cutting them is fine (depending on how bad they are) but if they've been turned before, just get some new ones, they aren't exspensive. plus, why would you want to put a price on your life anyway?

damn places around here rip you the fuck off then :( its usually around 15-20

so what does new rotors cost versus a resurface ?

Is it a good idea to get cross drilled or slotted (or both) rotors ? I've heard that they eat up your brake pads faster.

This is my daily driver. I drive hard but no auto x or track time for me !!!

just get good blank rotors (i suggest brembo)

cross drilled rotors are worthless unless you are running HUGE rotors and need to reduce weight
slotted rotors are worthless if you run decent pads (and yes they do eat pads quicker)

Hawk HPS pads will be good for you

check out http://www.tirerack.com they have good prices on both

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 11 2004, 01:00 AM
just get good blank rotors (i suggest brembo)

cross drilled rotors are worthless unless you are running HUGE rotors and need to reduce weight
slotted rotors are worthless if you run decent pads (and yes they do eat pads quicker)

Hawk HPS pads will be good for you

check out http://www.tirerack.com they have good prices on both

:werd:

I have Brembo blanks and Hawk HPS's and they stop like a motherfucker.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 11 2004, 03:26 AM
damn places around here rip you the fuck off then :( its usually around 15-20

damn, 15-20 dollars for a cut...then yeah, just buy some new rotors lol

Back