Stereo problems!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboMirage

That’s how you get ants
VIP
my stereo is sucking up way too much juice! alpine 9833...

since alpine uses the same wire harness for almost ALL of their non-lcd HU's, installing it was no big deal. just unscrew unplug and then plug in and screw in.

anyways, when i turn up the volume and such (w/o my sub and amp powered) it sounds like total crap, and my lights dim. if i plug in the sub and amp, the subs barely even make noise and when they do it sounds like total ass. for wiring im running a 4ga power and ground to the amp, and 12ga comes with the alpine for constant, ground, and memory.

if i swap the alpine 7894, everything is like it was. sweet. loud. ear popping.

im running a 90A alternator. i had a 120A in the car previously from my mirage but it went due to old age. could this be it? im not thinking i need a cap. should i run a direct line to the battery for constant power? right now its not attached to the radio harness, but to my clock harness. the wires to the clock are thicker than the ones going to the radio. i have no clock anyways. should i change my ground? im grounded to one of the screws that hold the radio cage in.

if you guys need pics to see what i mean, let me know. i want to get this solved quickly. while i have good tunes, i want good sound also. :(

Before you go through all the trouble of running new wires. Just grab a bigger power wire, run it from the battery and see if that helps. I would also try another ground, maybe something with more surface area. I have never really found caps to help; I have had 1, 2, 4 no really difference. What did help me was a red top battery :)

i dont think a cap would solve the problem if the amp wasnt even powered.

im going to run 12ga wire to the battery and go to a different ground.

Originally posted by projectxspeed@Feb 4 2005, 02:27 PM
Before you go through all the trouble of running new wires. Just grab a bigger power wire, run it from the battery and see if that helps. I would also try another ground, maybe something with more surface area. I have never really found caps to help; I have had 1, 2, 4 no really difference. What did help me was a red top battery :)
[post=456482]Quoted post[/post]​

What the red top did was absorb the cycle better. The head unit shouldn't be draining the power this much - That would mean that it's running close to the limits of what the alternator is putting out. And things like.. Vacuum cleaners... take that kind of juice.

The new head unit has a problem. Only an amp could draw that power, and the built-in amp isn't that amp.

-> Steve

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Feb 4 2005, 10:25 AM
my stereo is sucking up way too much juice! alpine 9833...

since alpine uses the same wire harness for almost ALL of their non-lcd HU's, installing it was no big deal. just unscrew unplug and then plug in and screw in.

anyways, when i turn up the volume and such (w/o my sub and amp powered) it sounds like total crap, and my lights dim. if i plug in the sub and amp, the subs barely even make noise and when they do it sounds like total ass. for wiring im running a 4ga power and ground to the amp, and 12ga comes with the alpine for constant, ground, and memory.

if i swap the alpine 7894, everything is like it was. sweet. loud. ear popping.

im running a 90A alternator. i had a 120A in the car previously from my mirage but it went due to old age. could this be it? im not thinking i need a cap. should i run a direct line to the battery for constant power? right now its not attached to the radio harness, but to my clock harness. the wires to the clock are thicker than the ones going to the radio. i have no clock anyways. should i change my ground? im grounded to one of the screws that hold the radio cage in.

if you guys need pics to see what i mean, let me know. i want to get this solved quickly. while i have good tunes, i want good sound also. :(
[post=456450]Quoted post[/post]​

the problem is that you can not use the harness from your factory unit on your deck alpine pulls to much power you have to run the power straight from the battery the install book from alpine should have stated this what you need to do is run strait from the battery and then get a relay that is used for fog lights to turn the deck off when you power the car off and this will fix the problem

ok you guys are going way to in depth you do not need to run a power wire from the battery that is crazy what car is this in and did you use the harness that came with the 9833 instead of the old one and also did you get a aftermarket plug to plug into the factory harness if not was the factory plug hacked out ?
use the plug from the 9833 and and after market harnees to your car that is what i do

but what would i know im only m.e.c.p. certefied

good luck

okay, im not using the stock power wire from the harness, its going to my clock lead, which is a bigger gauge.

im using a metra harness, all the wiring in great condition. as for the wireharnesses, they are the same part number from alpine, so i doubt they are different.

the car the radio is in is a 91 dodge colt. obviously my other car is a mirage. same radio harness as well.

Originally posted by TWISTEDIMAGE+Feb 4 2005, 07:39 PM-->
ok you guys are going way to in depth you do not need to run a power wire from the battery that is crazy what car is this in and did you use the harness that came with the 9833 instead of the old one and also did you get a aftermarket plug to plug into the factory harness if not was the factory plug hacked out ?
use the plug from the 9833 and and after market harnees to your car that is what i do

but what would i know im only m.e.c.p. certefied

good luck
[post=456682]Quoted post[/post]​
:thumbsup:

TWISTEDIMAGE
@Feb 4 2005, 10:40 PM
WHY NOT USE THE ONE THAT CONECTS TO THE FACTORY WIRE HARNESS INSTEED OF THE CLOCK
[post=456721]Quoted post[/post]​

:yes:

I as well am mecp cert. but at the silver level. start with the harness that came with the headunit, do not use the clock wire it may have a larger gauge but it could also have more stuff on it becides the clock(still shouldnt be enough to make the headlights dim with radio only) but it may be drawing to much power for the wire size. use a clean ground as well this can be part of the problem. at last resort run the wire from battery(just make sure there is proper fuse inline).

the stock harness wire does not power the 9833 headunit at all. its way too small regardless. it powered the 7894, but the buttons dim and the headunit shuts off due to lack of power over 1/4 volume.

I know its fixed.. But even in the Alpine Manual it says run a seperate wire for the 12V because of the large current draw on all there 60x4 decks..

i know the manuel says to run a 12 v wire but if you check your factory plug it will supply 12v as well and that is what the stereo needs.
and i know you say thats what the 60w alpine decks say but true watts on the deck is like 11-12 wats per channel
the 2005 alpines have this reading on the face
they are trying to get back to life sorta like jl audio has tru power rattings
but any ways
glad it is fixed
just make sure all your wires are butted up tight would hate to see you ruin a 350.00$ deck

lol
peace :bow:

the stock harness will not supply enough power to even turn on the radio.

and yes, the manual runs the 12v line direct to the ignition switch, not the battery, but it gets there eventually. :)

What are you kidding me.. The 60x4 Deck does not actually do 60 watts?.. Damnit and here I was going to run my JL sub off of it.

Originally posted by CarAudiophile@Feb 7 2005, 02:45 PM
What are you kidding me.. The 60x4 Deck does not actually do 60 watts?.. Damnit and here I was going to run my JL sub off of it.
[post=457513]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Originally posted by lowassaccord+Feb 12 2005, 05:09 PM-->
CarAudiophile
@Feb 7 2005, 02:45 PM
[post=457513]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:
[post=460132]Quoted post[/post]​

:wtf2: dude are you kidding me? The only deck that i have ever of that was able to move a sub was the rockford ones. Always use an amp on a sub. its always CLEANER and there's more power to the sub alone.

yes taco, he was kidding

with a name like CarAudiophile you would think he knows his shit...

and rockford decks run subs? LMAO, i'd like to see that

ooh yea...

:deadhorse:

Back