Stereo wiring help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

93civicracer

Oh, I do a little here and there.
So I bought a cheap deck since the car didn't have one when I bought it. I got in a hurry and didn't have the conversion harness so I cut the wires and spliced them. It didn't work at first, then I got my friend to help who brought along his cousin who works at the Audio Magic shop in Mexico right over the border. Here's what I need help with:

We got all the wires spliced to the matching wires alright, but I can't find the ignition wire. So I looked in the manual and the ignition wire is yellow/red. I found it, and tested it, there's no voltage coming from it when the key is on. So I spliced the 5A battery wire (from deck) and the ignition wire (from deck) both to the battery hot wire and that works but you can't turn it off. I have some loose connections under the steering wheel drivers side kick panel and I know which one to check, but I don't recall seeing the connector loose for the ignition wire.

Anyway what I mostly wanted to ask, is can I set-up a killswitch for the ignition wire from the deck, which is spliced to the battery wire?

My car has a killswitch mounted on the center console right below the deck openning, and it apparently does nothing it's not even hooked up to anything. How hard would it be to get it workin for the ignition wire from the deck, while the wire is also spliced to the battery hotwire so the 5A can store clock memory? Would it be something I have to learn to do or is there like a tiny kit I could buy somewhere? Thanks in advance.

splice in to heavy ign wire place a in-live fuse 15A run wire upto ign live to your deck replace fuse this will give you a ign 12v live

I have no idea why the ignition wire is acting like that. I just checked and replaced all the bad fuses in the dash fusebox the other day.

you need to find the fuse that powers up the radio. it should be a 10 amp fuse. Take the fuse out and test the terminals to see if the box is getting juice. If not work from there. Check the fuses under the hood and other stuff.

DONT RUN WIRES FORM THE BATTERY unless you have to. You can splice from other acc power wires in the car but you need to do it the right way first.

Dont be Ghetto lazy.

I checked all the fuses in the car right after the swap when it didn't start up at first. Everything's good now the fuses that weren't good are all new now.

No and yes.

The ignition wire doesn't get voltage but I wanted to use the radio anyway. So what I did was splice the battery wire and the ignition wire (both of the ones from the deck) into the battery hotwire and it works fine like that but the only problem is I can't shut it back off. The deck has a removable face so that's the only way to turn it off is to take the face off, which is a good idea anyway because I doubt someone would steal a $40 deck with no face on it and the face has all the buttons so they wouldn't be able to sell or use it. I just take it off and put it in my pocket then put it back on when I get back in the car.

Back