sti motor blew

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mot

My friends motor in his sti blew at 5000 miles and since he didnt change the oil at 1500 miles they tried to tell him they woudlnt put a new one in. But my friend who worked at the subaru dealership helped him out...the motor costs 8500$ he blew 4 lifters and 2 valves. also the computer said he was driving hard when it went. the car never had a break in period and wa sbeat everyday of its life

That post was about as devoid of information as one could be, what the hell was he doing when it went?

What a dumb ass. I'm glad the dealership denied his warrenty claim for a new engine. Unless the tech worked it out otherwise (another dumb ass).

What? He was too broke to afford an 1500 oil change which is about $50max.

Drive any engine hard, and boom... Did you think that these engines where super great and didn't die. Haha loser!!!

Next time post something interesting.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Oct 9 2003, 02:15 PM
That'll happen with ANY car. Your friend is just a dumbass for doing that to a brand-new beautiful STi.

:werd:

No break in and beating on it all the time? I want to know what the hell he was doing when it blew.... but I'm not surprised it happened at all.

My friend that just bought his white STI had 7 miles on it when he got it. I tried to get him to bang it off the rev-limiter to break it in, but he wanted to break it in gently like they tell you. I STILL don't know anyone that has tried this. Do you?

I still say break the motor in nicely, people argue over the fact that you have to beat on the rings for them to seat properly but this is a discuss that has been beaten on constantly over the past 10 or so years.

and yes, any car can have those problems..

But, it is all how the driver treats the car, most of the time anyway. Some cars, like Hyundai, are still more prone to damage than a more realiable STi or Honda.

was the car stock when he blew the motor?

maybe the STI motors arent .... designed very well?

i just dont see how running a car hard can fuck up the motor....provided all maintenance is taken care of, and your boost settings and what not are all within reason.....

?

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Oct 9 2003, 04:51 PM

But, it is all how the driver treats the car, most of the time anyway. Some cars, like Hyundai, are still more prone to damage than a more realiable STi or Honda.

Actually thats not true. I work at Hyundai as a TECH and Hyundai came in second place this year for most reliable car, tied up with Honda and only being beaten by Toyota. Thats a bit of info that i bet many of you didn't know.

Toyota - 10 of every 100 cars had problems within the first 90 days
Honda - 11 of every 100 cars had problems within the first 90 days
Hyundai - 11 of every 100 cars had problems within the first 90 days

Originally posted by JDMilan+?-->
JDMilan @ ?) said:
I still say break the motor in nicely, people argue over the fact that you have to beat on the rings for them to seat properly but this is a discuss that has been beaten on constantly over the past 10 or so years.

My block wasn't broken in very nicely... but the rings were specifically designed for "instant break-in."

Tonyd0821
@?
was the car stock when he blew the motor?

maybe the STI motors arent .... designed very well?

i just dont see how running a car hard can fuck up the motor....provided all maintenance is taken care of, and your boost settings and what not are all within reason.....

My housemate Hugh beats on his STi every day, and it's had no problems so far after 5000+ miles. I'll bet that guy was just driving like a retard and blew it up. The EJ25 is a very solid engine.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Oct 9 2003, 07:15 PM
That'll happen with ANY car. Your friend is just a dumbass for doing that to a brand-new beautiful STi.

:bawling:

Where does your friend live? I want to slap him for destroying a perfectly good car.

Why would you invest in a $30,000 car and just beat the hell out of it? Was he gonna trade it in next week anyway? :unsure:

Me --> :slap: :beat: :nutkick: <-- Your friend

I still don't like Hyundai, if they were that realiable they wouldn't offer a standard 100,000 mile warranty. That is just my opinion.

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Oct 9 2003, 11:56 PM
I still don't like Hyundai, if they were that realiable they wouldn't offer a standard 100,000 mile warranty. That is just my opinion.

They wouldn't offer it if 90% of the cars had problems, 11% had problems. 11 fucking percent. That's pretty damn good if you ask me.

warranties own.

Usually, the reason they give such a big warranty is because they want people to buy the cars, so they know if anything goes wrong they can get it fixed. Usually the better the warranty the worse built the car is. USUALLY.

What's Honda's warrenty? I have a nice elongated warranty on my 00 Civic...I think it was 100,000 mile power train warrenty (from the time of original purchase)....I think...

Guess what? shit's already gone bad on the Civic, all my interior pieces are wobbley, & the passenger door doesn't unlock through the switch or by the remote. I still have my temporary tags for God's sake. All this talk about Honda quality from my brother.

Stupid actuators. :angry:

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Oct 9 2003, 06:56 PM

As sleepergtx said, they wouldn't offer 100,000 mile warranties if 90% of the cars had problems. That wouldn't make sense. They would spend more money fixing the cars then they would selling them.

Back