sti motor blew

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by MXDesa@Oct 9 2003, 04:59 PM
Toyota - 10 of every 100 cars had problems within the first 90 days
Honda - 11 of every 100 cars had problems within the first 90 days
Hyundai - 11 of every 100 cars had problems within the first 90 days

I have a few problems with that study.

Is this out of a total of 100 cars studied? Or is this a percentage of a much larger sample? I would hope that they would use a sample of at least a few dozen thousand cars.

90 days is not what I would define as a landmark of reliability. Perhaps 3 or 5 years after purchase. 90 days would be more along the lines of "initial build quality."

Regardless, the people I know who own Hyundais are reasonably satisfied with them.

i know hyundais chasis are built really well but i wouldnt think that about their power train,

Originally posted by kaishaku+Oct 9 2003, 07:58 PM-->
@Oct 9 2003, 04:59 PM
Toyota - 10 of every 100 cars had problems within the first 90 days
Honda - 11 of every 100 cars had problems within the first 90 days
Hyundai - 11 of every 100 cars had problems within the first 90 days

I have a few problems with that study.

Is this out of a total of 100 cars studied? Or is this a percentage of a much larger sample? I would hope that they would use a sample of at least a few dozen thousand cars.

90 days is not what I would define as a landmark of reliability. Perhaps 3 or 5 years after purchase. 90 days would be more along the lines of "initial build quality."

Regardless, the people I know who own Hyundais are reasonably satisfied with them.

100 cars is a redifined value of hundreds of thousands of cars. And your right, 11 out of 100 having problems is a intial build quality type of thing, but if cars dont have a problem in initial quality, it shouldn't have large problems in the future.

Originally posted by xyswany@Oct 9 2003, 08:33 PM
i know hyundais chasis are built really well but i wouldnt think that about their power train,

The dealer i work at, we get very very few problems dealing with power train. Most of the problems are infact customer neglect related, but because of the warranty it's covered so people often abuse there cars more than if it only had a 36,000 mile warranty. - If you abuse your car, it will break down quicker, and that goes for any car

um if there willing to offer a 100,000 mile warrenty that means that the car will go problem free for that period. If they had to fix every single car it would not be fisable to offer that kind of warrenty. as for quality i know people that have owned and loved them for almost 10 years now and there cars are hitting 200+ and still running strong.

just for everyone's information...the newer cars have computers that actually record what the car (driver) is doing. its like an airplane's black box. it records speed, rpm, etc.. so if someone was beating on their car, it will show. some legislators are trying to make that data admissable in court if you try to fight a traffic ticket! i saw this in the news about 2 months ago.

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Oct 9 2003, 08:15 PM
Usually, the reason they give such a big warranty is because they want people to buy the cars, so they know if anything goes wrong they can get it fixed. Usually the better the warranty the worse built the car is. USUALLY.

I agree with this. This is why dodge steped up there warrenty, same with Daewoo, and KIA (Killed In Assembly). Hyndai (sp?) used to have the worst reliablity, however, it looks as if they are working a tad harder. The 100k mile warrenty does not transfor over, so the resale sucks for them. Hell, when I was looking at cars when I was 16, there were 2 year old Hyndaiis Tiburons going for like 3k. Losing $8000 in 2 years tells you something about there cars.

Also, that survey or study is a POS. My parents Dodge Grand Caravan was a great car until about 40k miles when the warrenty was up, the tranny started to slip. At like 55-60k, the first tranny blew, then 12k miles later, the next one blew, then it blew 2 more that week (they put a new one on, they took it for a test drive, it blew after like 2 miles, then they put another one on, survied the test drive by them, then we take it home, we get half way home (1.5 miles) It blows. We later put 5k on that one, and when we were going to sell it, it was already starting to slip.

By this study, the Caravan would be a great car, so would the focus (which has had the most ever recals)

Originally posted by asmallsol@Oct 10 2003, 02:32 AM
Also, that survey or study is a POS. My parents Dodge Grand Caravan was a great car until about 40k miles when the warrenty was up, the tranny started to slip. At like 55-60k, the first tranny blew, then 12k miles later, the next one blew, then it blew 2 more that week (they put a new one on, they took it for a test drive, it blew after like 2 miles, then they put another one on, survied the test drive by them, then we take it home, we get half way home (1.5 miles) It blows. We later put 5k on that one, and when we were going to sell it, it was already starting to slip.

By this study, the Caravan would be a great car, so would the focus (which has had the most ever recals)

:wtf: I don't believe that bullshit.

Were they selling you 30 year old junkyard transmissions, or do your parents do a lot of neutral to drive drops and spin the wheels off each light?

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Oct 9 2003, 08:49 PM
just for everyone's information...the newer cars have computers that actually record what the car (driver) is doing. its like an airplane's black box. it records speed, rpm, etc.. so if someone was beating on their car, it will show. some legislators are trying to make that data admissable in court if you try to fight a traffic ticket! i saw this in the news about 2 months ago.

Yea, wasnt it with that WS-6 that plowed into some person or another car or somethign like that?

Originally posted by sleepergtx+Oct 9 2003, 10:35 PM-->
asmallsol
@Oct 10 2003, 02:32 AM

:wtf: I don't believe that bullshit.

Were they selling you 30 year old junkyard transmissions, or do your parents do a lot of neutral to drive drops and spin the wheels off each light?

you dont belive that bullshit? Do a google search for dodge caravan transmission problems, see how many you get. Basic reason why, the engine is too powerful for the tranny

http://www.aei.ca/~gregoire/claude.html
more
even more
a shit load

The V6 is too powerful for the transmission so it blows it out in 2 miles? Comon... <_<

I'm not gonna waste my time searching because I really don't care.

but...like I said, maybe they gave your parents very used and abused and/or 30 year old junkyard transmissions. :shrug2:

there, I edit my post with links. There is no doubt that the dodges tranny was a POS, you want to know what our next van was, A honda. Had zero major problem, (although the 2001 or 2002 and newer have had problems with there trannys along with many of honda and acuras V6 automatic tranny) was faster, got abused more (I drove it lol) and had many more nicer features then the crappy POS dodge.

That's cool. I really didn't care. I just wanted a rise out of you. :p

Glad your Honda doesn't have problems :thumbsup:

Mine does. :angry:

Originally posted by NoJokE+Oct 9 2003, 10:36 PM-->
rixXxceboy
@Oct 9 2003, 08:49 PM

Yea, wasnt it with that WS-6 that plowed into some person or another car or somethign like that?

There was a ws-6 that did that in Michigan, killed an old couple. Kid was street racing, and plowed into the guy going 100+. From what I have heard/read, they do not put it on every car, but like on every 10 or something like that, then when the car is in for service, they read the thing for "studys"

What I meant, was the 100,000 mile warranty that Hyundai offers is standard isn't it? Honda's standard is a 36,000 mile warranty, you can spend extra money to buy the longer warranty, therefore you are paying the dealer ahead of time, for the problems that may arise. Like I said, I think that they do it to sell more cars, and get their name out of the shitter.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Oct 9 2003, 09:38 PM-->
you dont belive that bullshit? Do a google search for dodge caravan transmission problems, see how many you get. Basic reason why, the engine is too powerful for the tranny

That sounds about right- my parents' 88 Caravan with the 3.0L (same gen as the early 90s I think) started to slip at around 60-70k. I could feel it, but my dad couldn't tell... I told him to sell that van ASAP. I had no idea that Chrysler had a history of this happening with the Caravans... I'll have to let my dad know.

Frankie P.
@Oct 9 2003, 10:19 PM
What I meant, was the 100,000 mile warranty that Hyundai offers is standard isn't it? Honda's standard is a 36,000 mile warranty, you can spend extra money to buy the longer warranty, therefore you are paying the dealer ahead of time, for the problems that may arise. Like I said, I think that they do it to sell more cars, and get their name out of the shitter.

No, that's only part of the reason. Hyundai wouldn't offer such a long standard warrantly unless they truly believed that they wouldn't lose money honoring it. When you buy the standard warranty, you're really only buying insurance against future repairs within the warranty period. It's not enough to pay for any major drivetrain work on your car. Example- the Honda extended warranty I was offered on a negotiation for a 2000 Civic was $850 to take it out to 7yrs/70k. That covers maybe the price of a used transmission? It sure as hell doesn't cover all the things that can go wrong if the car keeps coming back to the dealership. Stuff gets expensive.

Trust a guy who's done his share of cost proposals and justifications for high dollar projects at work. If the potential for monetary damages severely outweighs the benefit, there's no way in hell that anybody would approve my stuff. The long warranty is there only partly because Hyundai wants a better reputation- it's also there because they truly believe that they have a reliable enough car so they can still profit through the warranty's duration.

Honda doesn't offer a warranty like that because they already have a reputation for reliable cars, so they don't want to take the risk of people bringing cars back in after 60-70k miles and having to pay for major problems. YOU get to foot that bill.

The long Hyundai warranty has been around long enough that I don't think they're selling that crappy of a product- if they were, Hyundai would have already gotten into serious financial trouble fixing their own cars.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Oct 12 2003, 11:54 PM
there is a serious disease in this country called "stupid"

and it looks like you caught it as well.

Back