Stiff Gear Shift

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Canuck 93 Civic Si

A former ( and unhappy ) pontiac owner friend of mine has recently seen the light and bought himself a 94 civic si for a pretty good price i might add. The only thing that is somewhat of a mystery is why his shift movement seem kinda stiff. Ive seen this before when i was looking for my Si but i never really knew why. Could there be a bushing that has siezed a little or just something warn inside the tranny? If anyone has ever experienced this or has any suggestions, any input would be appreciated.

thanks

check to see if the tranny fluid is to the top. Is there any grinding when you shift? When it is in gear, is there alot of free play with the shift (side to side like in neutral)

just to preface, i live in the winter wonderland which is refered to as Canada, and we have a lot of rust, i just recently purchased a used shifter linkage from the local grave yard, the linkage was actually siezed on one of the pivots where it connects to the transaxle (the part that allows you to move the shifter left to right). So if the car was sitting for a long time not in use, possible it is seized just like mine was. To check you might have to remove the linkage from the transaxle and attempt to move the pivots around with your hand, they should be loose.

Thanks, ill check the shift linkage naxt time i get a chance as i also live in canada ( hence the name ). Ill also suggest that he change the tranny fluid as well.

thanks people :spin:

if the tranny is "whinning" that is a good sign your low on fluid. It could be your linkage, and ALSO it could be a combination of some rusting and some worn synchros. If the synchros are worn properly, it could just cause them to engage stiffer, but still not grind. I would speculate that linkage + fluid seems more feasable

Back