still annoyed by mileage

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Periculum

Changed my plugs, changed the wires, changed air and fuel filter, whats left? if the distributor is getting bad, how will i know and does it affect mileage also?

im getting about 33.5MPG in my 91 CRX HF. If this is close to what others with the same car are getting, let me know so im not trying to get my mileage higher when it wont. thanks

Take off the distributor cap and look to see what the rotor and the cap look like. That can defently cause bad millage. What does the air filter look like? Is your ignition timing ok? Do you have any mods done to it? Many mods will hurt your gas millage. What are your driving habbits? Do you rev your car upto redline alot. That will kill your millage

Originally posted by asmallsol@Oct 30 2004, 11:57 PM
What are your driving habbits? Do you rev your car upto redline alot. That will kill your millage
[post=409762]Quoted post[/post]​

I rev the shit out of my car, and i've gotten better mileage doing it more often.

anyway, how old is your fuel pump? ever run any cleaner through your injectors? How good is the tread on your tires?

No engine codes, although the engine light came on for just a few minutes at the end of a trip i took awhile back. But it was off and has stayed off since. Tire pressure is great, same with tread, they are almost new. I dont tend to redline unless i need to get out of someones way (which isnt too often) or up a hill (it is an HF).
Is there anything special I have to do to take the cap off or just take it right off and look? I dont know anything about ignition timing. There are no mods on the CRX cept that it has an si radiator and alternator(same as hf alternator?). Air filter is clean as a new one.

I have also noticed a slight misfire(maybe) from 2k ro 3k RPM usually only in first gear. I dont seem to go up steadily until i hit 3. this isnt a very consistent behavior either.

Sounds like timing to me. Maybe the distributor got knocked or loosened up somehow? Or maybe your t-belt is getting old and got loose somehow. The misfiring and weird low end sound very suspect of a timing issue.

Back