still have a little hissing in my rear speakers

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rockhillhonda

i still have a little hissing in my car speakers in te back and my subs are not even in yet i just have everything hooked up and my amps were not even on and i am still hearing a little hissing from the speakers, what in the hell do i do now? the power wire is on the other side of the car, away from any other wires and the rca's. and the ground is on a metal bracket for the emegency brake, i am pretty sure ts a good ground, so what do i need to do??????????????/ :worthy:

Sounds like a grounding problem but you have covered that since it is grounded to the emergency brake. Sorry but no clue.

Is it a hissing like high pressure water, or more of a whine? Also, how long is your grounding wire, you want to keep that as short as possible, and you can't go overboard on gauge (thickness) of the ground wire. I have had troubles in the past using bolts to ground things out, but if you want a good ground, go for a bigger bolt, and preferably one thats tied to the frame somehow (i.e. seat brackets) or just look for a factory grounding location that is generally under the dash on the side of the car.

the ground wire is no more then 10-12 inches in length, so i might try shorting it and bolting it to the seat belt bracket. the noise though is "feedback", or "hissing" from the alternator, when i give it a lot of gas then it gets louder(know what i mean?) i know it does it more with the ac on so i know it is the alternator making that noise through the wires i guess so i am going to try the bigger wire also, thanks.

Ok, alternator whine is a TOUGH beast to deal with. First and formost, is your power wire from the battery anywhere near your alternator. You want to keep that bastard very far away from the alternator. The reason you get your whine is the magnetic field put off my the alt affects the power cable, and subsequently causes a current. This slight current is then amplified by your head unit/amplifier and you get what I referred to on my Toyota as a "fake turbo". There's a few ways to combat this, first, easiest, but probably most expensive is to go ahead and drop bank on shielded wiring (Monster Cable works great). This has a special insulator that prevents the magnetic field from showing up in your speakers. Second, and still pretty effective is to install a high pass filter going to the errant speakers. I am not sure of your speaker/wire/amp/head unit setup, so I can't give you much more than general help. Hopefully something in here was useful to you, and good luck dealing with that whine, I never could completely get rid of mine in the Yota.

try giving the ground a good sanding then check the wires behind the deck and run rca away from the speaker wires

Try and isolate where the problem is coming from. Disconnect the rca cables one end at a time to see if noise is being picked up through them. Do the speakers hiss when the engine is running? If they still do then you can rule out engine noise. Do the speakers sound fine otherwise? Find out where the noise if coming from then you can tackle the problem.

I have been into audio for awhile now and I am just say better safe that sorry. You know that my be very well true for you but not for others myself included. I used to get some buzzing but then a friend of mine told be to try the same size wire guess what that was the ticket. I am just speaking from personal experience.

Austin

gauge and qulity of wire makes the diffrence a 1500 strand copper wire will be a far more effiecent ground than a 1 strand wire of the same gauge

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Sep 17 2004, 02:51 AM
gauge and qulity of wire makes the diffrence a 1500 strand copper wire will be a far more effiecent ground than a 1 strand wire of the same gauge
[post=391458]Quoted post[/post]​

I see what you are saying now I was assuming that he was using poor quality wiring. sorry

Back