still tranny swappin....88-89 to 90-91

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b18c5crxtasy

is there anything else i will need from my 89 d16a6 motor/tranny setup to mount into my 91 si besides flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, and tranny? unfortunately i am unable to bring the motor to where i am working on the car so i have had some time running back and forth for tools/parts given my ride situation.

taking out the right tie rod was the best idea ever...barely need to drop the engine.

trans is in but i realized there is a pin in the motor and in the trans in the back...so that's always fun.

anything else i might be missing? i just don't want any surprises here since i have limited ability to get back and forth.

What are you swapping exactly, you putting in a new motor and tranny? If you are moving clutch parts over, I would recommend just buying new ones while they are out, unless they only have a few miles on them. If it is just the tranny, a jack or a lift helps a little bit while trying to put the tranny back on the motor. Make sure you have the bearings on there right before you put the tranny on.

very recently replaced clutch on a motor i swapped into a bad 90 si body...junked the body and took everything off it, motor included...motor was an 89 cali si d16a6 which came with bad clutch...clutch was swapped into this motor <3k ago. still have the d16a6 motor which runs fine. the new crx i bought (until recently in pristine condition) was scratching third and i just needed a more significant reason to swap my tranny out since i had an extra from this 89 si.

car not moving seemed to be a significant enough reason...

i'm only swapping the 89 cali d16a6 tranny onto my god-knows-where 91 d16a6 motor.

my most recent problem was me not checking to see if the motor-to-trans cylindrical pins would mate and i had one in the trans and one in the motor in the back side.

i'm pretty certain d-block is d-block, but i wanted to make sure i was not going to need anything else off my 89 d16a6 before i go back to the garage without the necessary equipment.

my 91 d16a6 runs fine....throwout bearing might have been fucked b/c any noise was eliminated by clutching in. the motor purred like a sweet little kitten

the 89 tranny is the same as the 90-91, the difference was in the flywheel/clutch size. you can use any of those trannys in any of the cars. just the 90-91 had a larger flywheel than the 89. so for example you can use am 89 tranny in a 90-91 car and still use the 89 clutch/flywheel as long as they are swapped along with the tranny to the new motor.
there shouldnt be any pin differences between the trannys

Originally posted by ryan89crx@Jan 30 2005, 06:52 PM
just the 90-91 had a larger flywheel than the 89.
[post=453534]Quoted post[/post]​

you mean the pressure plate bolt pattern is larger in diameter, b/c the flywheel should fit the same right? i can use my 91 starter motor though i thought; they appear to be the same as far as total diameter of flywheel.

Originally posted by b18c5crxtasy+Jan 30 2005, 06:23 PM-->
ryan89crx
@Jan 30 2005, 06:52 PM
just the 90-91 had a larger flywheel than the 89.
[post=453534]Quoted post[/post]​

you mean the pressure plate bolt pattern is larger in diameter, b/c the flywheel should fit the same right? i can use my 91 starter motor though i thought; they appear to be the same as far as total diameter of flywheel.
[post=453570]Quoted post[/post]​

i mean the clutch surface area. heres some info that might help make it clearer.
http://thenew.gamesbbs.com/~dmoore/tranny.htm

everything's in, everything's bolted up and wired. i think i mixed up the starter motor wires cuz the bitch doesn't turn (no biggie, running out of time today so i was trying to at least turn it). throwing a code 8 (who cares i turned my crank manually, it will be fine when it starts up).

what is really troubling me is that no matter the cable adjustment, clutch in or out i can shift gears. feels like the pedal drops too easily and the clutch release lever does not drop down on it's own when pulled up by pedal or by my hand.

i was under the impression if the shift fork slipped over the bearing it would keep the clutch constantly engaged=no shifting, clutch out situation all the time. help me out here.

btw: i forgot my floor jack when i went back and i found nothing is better than the stock honda jack for presise variations by hand. loving the crap out of my stock honda jack now...

oh yeah and i have a "hissing" noise/almost sounds like a small vaccuum leak. the noise is produced when dc power is provided and the car is in accessory power/crank position. i kept the keys in accessory, pulled the negative terminal and the noise immediately stops. seems to be coming from right above the fuel rail and i don't smell any fuel.

most likely hearing fuel running through the fuel rail and/or fuel pump priming if no leaks are present.

i think it's a ground issue, just couldn't find it cuz my multimeter died on me while i was away at the garage i was working at. i don't think it's fuel pump b/c i can hear the main relay click and i hear it running....it's got to be starter motor or grounds.

i have an extra starter so my next step is to take out the starter and hardwire it to see if it turns, if not replace my other starter and try again.

does the clutch in sensor require a +12volts or negative to activate the starter?

Back