Stock Crank?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

newb

phresh
VIP
hey everyone ive been readin this forum for a while but this is my first post. my question is about the strength of the stock b-series crank. first, my setup will be a boosted cr/vtec, i plan on having the block resleeved and having all neecassary machine work done, and im gunna be runnin eagle h-beam rods with forged pistons(still not sure on which brand i should use). Ive read that the stock crank can handle up to 800hp, first, if i have the crank knife edged and balanced with the rest of the rotating assembly would this be true? if so would it hold up to a 100 shot of nitrous? a factory crank holdin that kind of power doesnt sound right to me, but look at my name, thats y i comin to people who know more than me. i know it seems dumb to do all that work and not buy a new crank too, but if it will hold up i see it as an easy way to save sum money to put into the motor somewhere else. if there are alternitives like complete rotating assemblies that would be cheaper than buyin rods and pistons and having the work done on the crank id like to hear about em. thanks in advanced for any advice you have.

800 seems a little high. I know the stock crank will do 400 for at least 40k miles.

Dont knife edge the trank, that will actually lower its life span. Take the crank to a machine shop so they can get a good look at the journals and see if it needs polishing. Than have it balanced if needed and be sure to get new rod and main bearings and thrust bearing.

The stock B series crankshaft's can take a beating but if your clearances are not in spec., than you will have issue's no matter what you decide to do with the engine. As far as power goes, I've made 551 on a stock gsr crank and never had any problems. I had that engine setup for over a year until I sold the car.

Last edited:
ive been hearing "dont knife edge the crank" a lot since i asked so i ruled that out. lets say i get a crank thats in perfect shape, ill have it balanced and polished, is there anything else i can do to maximize strenght and longevity? is there a certain journal diameter that works better than stock? Ive only dealt with big block fords until now, so im just tryin to learn wut things b-series engines work well with. thanks again.

Cool, this is why im here, i never would have thought that a factory crank would be balanced so well. Just to make sure im understanding you right, if i got a mint condition crank i should leave it alone and balance the rest of the rotating assembly accordingly? As for bearing usage thanks for the tollerance. Im just goin to assume the block i end up with will need align bored, after i do this wut kind of bearings should i look at first to get my tolerances? lets say the block does not need align bored, where should i go for bearings then? Keeping in mind i will be boosting this engine and id like to turn mid to high 9's for rpm. thanks for your patients with my questions, it is a big help.

9k with a b crank...thats hawt...never seen it.

clevite and acl are the usual suspects when it comes to bearings.

9 grand doesnt seem right? My buddy regularly shifted his gsr at a little over 9, am i mistaken that the gsr bottem end is b-series?

Lol, thanks for pointin that out, like my name says im new, im not gunna flat out disagree with someone who has so much more experience. Thanks for the links also. As for the align hone, Ive always been under the impression that its just good practice on used blocks, so again my domestic v-8 experience was just bein applied here. Thanks again for bein patient and not inflating your ego by pointing out my ignorance on the topic, i appriciate it.

yeah, i get sarcastic sometimes :)

i know broad information on topics, but when it comes right down to it...i still have to ask questions on even the simplest topics.

Welcome aboard and dont be a stranger mr. "i joined in sept and am only just now posting".

lol...ya it did take me a while to start postin, but im tired of seein new guys ask the questions that have a million posted answers so i took the time to research the forum first. and yes i do realize this is almost one of those questions, but i was hoping to get a little advice from personal experience, like ls vtech posted, instead of just ppl talkin about setups they have seen a time or two. thanks once again.

Here's the problem with wanting that kind of advice. The fact that 4cylinder cars (as we now know them) have been popular for maybe 10-15 years. V8s have been popular and relatively unchanged for 50 years. There is a lot more information out there on the subject of V8s. Also, most people with the cash are more likely to go with something that easily makes power instead of finding new and interesting ways to get 400hp out of something thats started with 80.

That, my friend, is where the problem lies. Ive heard about people making a B20V. Read about it in magazines, and online....I've only seen it once in person, and i didnt have a hand in it.

Ive swapped a half dozen H22s, but only rebuilt one...due to cash constraints that one never even saw the road. Kids are the people that play with honda's (as a general rule) and not many kids have $$$. Adults that have money dont like to play with toys.

Even if you find kids with money, 9/10, one of the 30-40 big shops around the country did their work for them (those are the adults that kept playing with 'toys'). So unless you have a large influx of the big shop owners and techs...not a lot is gonna get posted.

I know what your sayin. Ive found much easier to get info and make desicions when it comes to v-8s. Thats why i have already developed a good amount of knowledge for them. Also, the fact that Ive never had financial help from my parents on my projects has forced me to do every bit of my own work, being as parts cost usualy cleaned my wallet out. Ive worked with big block chevs, and both small and big block fords, and had great results (i own a 390 powered '69 ford f-100 weighing 4400lbs capable of low 14's, and it was a daily driver), but since im a knowledge hungry person ive decided to try my hand at hondas. Granted i am starting out with a build a lil more advanced than i have done before, but thats why im asking so many questions. The more i know when i start this the faster and easier it will be, and the final product quality will be much better. I dont expect to be spoon fed when i ask questions, but i like details, and lots of em lol. suggestions on where to look for more info is always great too. thanks for the tips.

Back