Stock gs-r vs. turbo cams

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

livinlow

I've seen dyno sheets where guys with stock gs-r cams make huge power. Is there really any reason to swap my gs-r cams on my b18c1 out for a turbo cam or would it be a waste of money?

i guess it would depend on the power you are looking to make.

If you havent already, spend the extra money on building the bottom end or tuning and just turn up the boost.

but if you've already been there done that, and maxed out your current setup then go for it i guess

You can make pretty obscene power on the stock GSR cams, but with a more aggressive turbo grind cam, your engine will be more efficient and make more power at lower boost. Using the air charge more efficiently means you'll have a fuller power curve than you would if you just cranked up the boost on your stock cams.

Basically, it's up to you. I would swap the cams, but that's me.

efficientcy and a more linear power band = good and in a sence less stress if you tuned for the exact same amount of power just with the other setup. Plus i have come to the conclusion, that Average power really is where its at. Not that its anything new but now i see where the term "average power wins races" comes from. So yes the powerband would change for the better reguardless if you made more power or not. With proper tuning it gonna feel better through out the curve when driving.

I say if you have themoney go for it.

use you're turbo, not your wallet.
psi is free, cams are not

i've seeen countless 600whp motors on stock gsr cams.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 20 2004, 05:32 PM

[post=419854]Quoted post[/post]​

LOL i will say what was recently said to me. Peak HP dont mean squat. Bragging rights thats all.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 20 2004, 07:32 PM

[post=419854]Quoted post[/post]​

That's peak power though.... the turbo cams will still give you a better power curve. ;)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 21 2004, 01:23 AM
more power down low where you can't use it and spin.

top end is where its at. :)
[post=419966]Quoted post[/post]​

If you spin you have a led foot problem.

You must have forgot i have a 79 Trans am with a 403 6.6 ltr. With that said i have driven a few cars with plenty more then that. Dont be so Stuck up, 300 hp aint even all that much when you think about it, for honda yeah thats geting up there but a car with 180hp and 320lb/ft of tq would impress me as much or more then a honda with 300hp and like 230lb/ft ,thouhg i am in no way try to take away from your build or hondas, but cars are cars. Theres to many different kinds and to many different platforms and to many different HP and TQ numbers to make a statement like that.

Shit i have driven air coold VW bugs with almost that much. Witch initself is damn crazy because of the car and engine design, Jugs dont exactly make for strong Cylender walls.

My dad owns purple SL500, im pretty sure that makes more then 300Hp though i could be wrong. Believe me i have driven my share not to mention i have many people around me that own or have driven some pretty wild cars, to name a few, lambos, porsches, and a few very cherry old mustangs. Hell my moms bf drove john claud van dams lambo. He had his hay day, he opend for warrant one time with his band, dont know if ya know who that is. And knows tommy lee, hes been around some hot cars in his young rock and roll days.

I have driven imports, domestics and exotics. Though nothing to extoic, not lambos or anything.

Originally posted by UDT@Nov 21 2004, 07:04 PM
You must have forgot i have a 79 Trans am with a 403 6.6 ltr. With that said i have driven a few cars with plenty more then that. Dont be so Stuck up, 300 hp aint even all that much when you think about it, for honda yeah thats geting up there but a car with 180hp and 320lb/ft of tq would impress me as much or more then a honda with 300hp and like 230lb/ft ,thouhg i am in no way try to take away from your build or hondas, but cars are cars. Theres to many different kinds and to many different platforms and to many different HP and TQ numbers to make a statement like that.

Shit i have driven air coold VW bugs with almost that much. Witch initself is damn crazy because of the car and engine design, Jugs dont exactly make for strong Cylender walls.

My dad owns purple SL500, im pretty sure that makes more then 300Hp though i could be wrong. Believe me i have driven my share not to mention i have many people around me that own or have driven some pretty wild cars, to name a few, lambos, porsches, and a few very cherry old mustangs. Hell my moms bf drove john claud van dams lambo. He had his hay day, he opend for warrant one time with his band, dont know if ya know who that is. And knows tommy lee, hes been around some hot cars in his young rock and roll days.

I have driven imports, domestics and exotics. Though nothing to extoic, not lambos or anything.
[post=420126]Quoted post[/post]​

:woo:

300 hp FWD traction cannot be compared to even 500 hp RWD. its just so different

Back