Stock LS Clutch OK for a B20B Swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hi all

I am dropping a B20B Longblock with a GSR Tranny in to my existing 98 Integra LS.

Can I get away with running the stock LS clutch and flywheel or should I really invest in a stage2 or 3 clutch to cover the extra torque?

Money is kinda tight right now. Can I use the LS clutch? I'm not planning on drag racing just spirited backroad driving.

thnx

Will it hold, and work oK? yes and if you dont mind that feel then go for it, but i guess what im saying is that its so much easier to just do it now. Ive seen used light weight flywheels on ebay for like $50. Im also thinking since you got roughly an extra 20Lb of tourque, and shorter gears of the GSR tranny, your stock LS clutch might not last quite as long as in a stock LS

Yeah I agree with your point of it being way easier to just do it now. I don't want to have to pull the tranny in 6 months just cause I didn't take the time now.

If I get a new clutch I'm thinking a sprung one. those have a broader range of engagement yeah? Unsprung is more like letting the power out all at once - on or off? I heard sprung clutches rattle after a while though..

what do most people prefer?

ACT seems to make decent clutches - what else is good Exedy?

Is it even possible to find a decent clutch for $200?

ok I found a guy who has a new ACT HDSS for a GSR for sale. Only thing is it's an open box and is missing the bearing.

Does anybody know if I can use the bearing from the LS clutch or is it different or not a good idea to do this?

Should I really hold out to get a lightened flywheel as well?

thnx all.

yes, get the flywheel, i had a 12 Lb. flywheel, it make the car much more fun, and it free's up some rotational weight. The means more power. As far as the bearing, why dont you call act and see if you can order just a bearing from them, wouldnt cost much.

well I'm on track. I got a new ACT XTSS clutch from some guy for $200 (ACT website says $623.32!). I just need to get the Release and Pilot bearings for it.

I'm still on the fence about the flywheel - only because I am hesitant to put something on the car that might be lower quality than stock.

Is it possible to find a new light weight flywheel of good quality for $100?

so I finished the swap. I ended up using the oe flywheel cause I ran out of fundage. but the clutch feels good - it definitely lets out at a different point than the stock one. More closely to the bottom of its travel - kinda reminds me of my old CRX clutch!

So thanks to all for the input on the clutch situation!

Happy Motoring!

Back