Stock Ls Pistons

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mattcalica

k, i goin to go ls/vtec turbo...i have rods, but i was wondering if the stock LS pistons were strong enough for turbo...i have about 151,000 miles on the LS block, so if i change the piston rings, would that be good enough?

Originally posted by mattcalica@Jan 5 2003, 10:06 PM
k, i goin to go ls/vtec turbo...i have rods, but i was wondering if the stock LS pistons were strong enough for turbo...i have about 151,000 miles on the LS block, so if i change the piston rings, would that be good enough?

Why put the vtec head on it? When vtec kicks in, your exhaust will open longer with the intake, meaning your boost will just go bye bye. Save the 600 or so you are going to pay for the head and get some Endyn "Roller Wave" pistons.

see, i was going to go ls-vtec all motor, but i got CTR pistons, which are a little too high cr for the gas i have in my area...so i already have the vtec head...again, can i just use the stock ls pistons, or should i get new ones...i just figured that the ls pistons give a good cr for boost...

Originally posted by mattcalica@Jan 5 2003, 11:59 PM
see, i was going to go ls-vtec all motor, but i got CTR pistons, which are a little too high cr for the gas i have in my area...so i already have the vtec head...again, can i just use the stock ls pistons, or should i get new ones...i just figured that the ls pistons give a good cr for boost...

They do give you a good CP for boost. But with the machine work and all to fit the vtec head on the motor. You can get a full built LS head with crower turbo cams for 900 or so (including head). So that is just over the cost of the vtec head and the ls head bolts on. Sell the CTR pistons and get Endyn's. You can stay stock, but it will eventually blow the rings, thus could scratch the walls, meaning new sleeves later. As stated before.. ls/t ownz vtec/t. Vtec/t makes more peak power, but the ls/t makes more power within the driving range.

ctr pistons + boost??? you are f00king nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOM FUCKING BOOM is in your future unless you have the TOP tuner in the world tune your car.

i have some 9:1 endyn roller waves for sale.. check the classfieds if you are interested

Originally posted by mattcalica@Jan 5 2003, 10:06 PM

what i heard is... your piston should hold up for the turbo... with low boost only... i think at the peak would be 7 pounds and the max... it's going to be at 5 to 7 pound bost only... also changing your rings should aleast just help you out... but the bottom line is get some pistons first... then you can try the head on if you would like... with your stock piston now you can still blow them aways shooting nos and sumtime even with the vtec head it self... with that much miles on the block try tooh get sume pistons first then fo turbo...

Your pistons won't hold for long if they do along, so you might as well get new ones now. And LS/VTEC should work fine, you won't lose your boost as long as you do it right, imma do the same thing.

Back