Stock Shocks With 1.5 " Drop?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

maze1978

Hey guys....can i keep my stock shocks if i just lower my civic 1.5"with springs only?
Im getting people that say ill be bouncing all over(which i dont want to) and others saying it will be fine....

Thanx!

its not reccomended, but it'll work. calesta said he did that and his shocks lasted him from 50ooo miles till about 65ooo miles when they blew.

I dropped my sedan at 40k and the struts held up for quite some time and didn't get really bad till 120k, and this was a 2.5 inch drop too. My camber was only at -1.50 and -1.75 in the rear at the worst. Very minor tire wear. So rock the stock struts till they wear and with all the money you saved in the meantime you can get some really nice struts, over even some full coil-overs, hmmmmm. :ph34r:

Wow. 80k on your stock struts after the drop? Amazing... how hard do you drive your car? Mine spent probably at least half of its miles in the Austin twisties before I upgraded to KYB AGX shocks. It's usually a miracle when stock struts last as long as 120k.

Spring rate matters just as much as drop height when you're thinking about how long your shocks will last after changing your springs... stiffer springs will wear out your shocks faster. Different brands of springs that drop your car the same amount almost never have the same spring rates.

Yea I beat the hell out of them..two sets of 17s came and went but the struts stayed the same. But Im really dissapointed with the KYB's, very bouncy, floaty, etc. I think the strut just cant handle the spring. Because my ride stock was better. Oh well IM about ready to get rid of the civic and just have fun with the RSX. Note: I never really knew how a car was supposed to handle and ride till I bought the Acura.
So maybe my lack of experience with proper set ups led me to believe the ride was fine. But either way, it didnt start bottoming out till 20k ago, about the same time I moved to the city, hmmmm pothole city. RICHMOND

Originally posted by caeaves@Apr 30 2003, 10:58 PM
I dropped my sedan at 40k and the struts held up for quite some time and didn't get really bad till 120k, and this was a 2.5 inch drop too. My camber was only at -1.50 and -1.75 in the rear at the worst. Very minor tire wear. So rock the stock struts till they wear and with all the money you saved in the meantime you can get some really nice struts, over even some full coil-overs, hmmmmm. :ph34r:

damn, I have 70k on my stock ones at stock height and they have been crappy for a few thousand miles now

Back