1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stock Springs on Illuminas?

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by Citizen_Insane, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

I have been looking arround at springs and Have been mostly unimpressed. I don't want to drop my car, I just want increased spring rates and there are no springs that offer that. Would my car still handle much better with stock springs and the Illuminas? OR would I still have body roll. I really don't want to spend $200 on springs, especially if then I have to spend another $200 on a camber kit. Thanks.

:cliffs:
    -OEM springs on Illuminas; handling: :thumbsup: or :thumbsdown:

2. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Yes- you'll still have significantly better handling with Illuminas on stock springs. Lots of autocrossers do this to stay within their division rules- they run stock springs on stiffer shocks.

If you want to increase spring rates but keep your ride height the same, go check out some adjustable coilovers. You can use custom rate Ground Controls on Illuminas and gain quite a bit of stiffness without lowering at all, or you could go with a full coilover system that still allows you to run the stock height as well.

3. Citizen_Insane

Well, it looks like I will stick to my stock springs. Thanks Calesta. I can always upgrade later :D

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Sure- but it's always best to do both at once- less labor. ;)

5. Citizen_Insane

yeah I know...but I have lots of time, less than "lots" of money right now. This way it gives me time to come up with the money for a coilover setup anyway.

6. seanjuan

seanjuan Senior Member

I just put a set of illuminas on along with some eibach pro-kits, only drops the car about an inch and a half and doesn't affect camber enough to require a camber kit

I've put about 2k on the car since the suspension along with some new Azenis and the tires are in great shape, no adverse affects from not having stock camber

so unless it is an auto-x issue like calesta mentioned I would save up and get some springs and do it all at once because you will be very glad you did it

I got my eibach pro-kits for $180 off ebay

good luck

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted