Stock Valvetrain Ok?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Mech

Banned
My friend and I dropped an H22 in his 91' Accord. He decided to buy some stage2 cams from gude. He has alot of extra parts and only runs a 15.1 at best, he averages a 15.3. Anyway, I told him that with the stock valvetrain he is getting mad valve float, or at least that's what I think. I've always heard that you HAVE to get at least stiffer outer springs to maintain the amount of lift and duration he is producing. His Vtec hits very hard, but I still think he's getting valve float. I have a B18a in my 90' Teg, and was thinking of getting crower stage2, So what I'm asking is... is it really neccesary to buy the dualsprings and retainers?

1st Gude is garbage
2nd yes you should get better springs and retainers when you upgrade your cams

Well... I know you should but I was wanting to know if it was absolutely neccesary, and if he was getting any valve float.

do you HAVE to??? .... it depends how agressive the cam profile is
is he getting float??? .... again depends on the profile and how high he is revving it

an agressive profile isnt going to automaticly create float.... you need to rev it high first.... you can make the valves float on a stock cam.....
if he is getting valve float he shouldnt be as concerned with losing HP as he should be with slamming a piston into a floating valve and fucking up his whole engine
very few cams can be run with the rest of the valvetrain being left stock... most will say its ok on their web site... check there first i guess

Back